Making a documentary with the XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old June 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Making a documentary with the XH A1

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am currently in production of a documentary using the XH A1. I purchased the camera because of what I read on these forums, and have had help from all you guys a few times over the months with issues. Anyway, I'm posting almost daily to a blog with my experiences filming and using the camera, so I thought I'd let people know in case they were interested in it. No ads or anything on the blog (I even give props to dvinfo and link to it) -- just stories and info. I figured it could be helpful to other filmmakers. Check it out at www.eidolonfilms.com

Thanks!
Ben Crosbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I see already a bunch of hits on the blog from this forum, so I just wanted to say thanks for checking it out!
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM   #3
Major Player

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...00_Series.html

Is this the same lav set up you guys have? I am in the market for a quality lav and receiver....
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Doug, yes that is the same set-up we are using. We've only used it a couple times so far (one guy was way to sweaty today to wear it) but so far it has worked great. It sounds good, and we've had no problem with any interference so far.

Although I'd recommend spending $100 more and getting the eng version with the plug in transmitter. I think it can definitely come in handy if you want to go with a wireless boom or handheld mic.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Doug,

I just shot with that brand yesterday.
It's really quite good. No interference, and when properly
adjusted, it gets good quality sound.

If I have to use a wireless system, I'm happy with this set-up.

David
David McGiffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just updated with a post that details some of our experiences with the xh a1. It's preliminary, but we will be posting more and more about the camera and audio set up as we use it.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:25 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Crosbie View Post
Just updated with a post that details some of our experiences with the xh a1. It's preliminary, but we will be posting more and more about the camera and audio set up as we use it.
Very good to read you notes. Thank you!

In 4 weeks I leave to do some pieces for a documentary using the XH-A1. Since I haven't even gotten the camera yet, you comments on how you work with it are very helpful.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Glad that our notes helped you out! That's the whole point. Before making this film I was always searching for filmmaker experiences online and found surprisingly few blogs. Hopefully we can continue to help people.
Ben Crosbie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques