Tripod or Monopod for my documentaries? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old August 30th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Tripod or Monopod for my documentaries?

Hi, I have just bought Sony FX7 HDV camera and now I need a monopod or tripod. I have just used a little bit my Sony FX7 but I have made shaking shots. I tell you about my travels and documentaries. I take an interest on ethnic groups toward extinction and I often I stay for 20 days in remore land like raiforest or trekking on the mountains (Africa and South America, Papua New Guinea, etc). In the raiforest often I sail rivers by boat and take a 4x4 too.
Somebody tells me to buy a monopod and others a light tripod for my documentaries. Now I have confused ideas. In your opinion is it better to buy a monopod or tripod? I will use it in my travels only.
Thanks for info.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Major Player

I have used a monopod when trying to capture action sports and I think the tripod is a better platform. The monopod seems like a good idea but the weight of the camera makes it an almost dangerous idea.

If suffering from lack of space look into buying a shoulder mount.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brill View Post
If suffering from lack of space look into buying a shoulder mount.
mmmm, did you use it? Is it better than a monopod? mmmm
Thanks for your reply.
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #4
Major Player

I have both and I sincerly believe the tripod is the way to go. There is a very light tripod by Manfrotto, I think it's the 190mf with a 702rc head should be great for what you do. Manfrotto may have newer and better, look at their website.
Robert Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #5
Major Player

The monopod I used was a manfrotto 681b with a 3265 head and I didn't find it that functional. I do not own a shoulder mount since I don't need one but have used other peoples and believe that it would be the next best thing to a tripod.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:51 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You have a few choices, but I think you will miss the tripod look. As an amateur, I shot two weeks of footage on a monopod. It was a bit of a pain to bring around, and particularly difficult to hold steady for interviews that sometimes went on for 20 minutes.

A body camera support with belt-mounted brace is reasonably comfortable (I use DV MultiRig - surprisingly compact foldup), but the steadiness isn't much different from the stability offered by a monopod. When you hold on to the handles, you can't really play with the camera controls, such as Push autofocus. So, you'll need yet another accessory for LANC control.

If you're bringing a tripod, just bring a light monopod with it.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
I take an interest on ethnic groups toward extinction and I often I stay for 20 days in remore land like raiforest or trekking on the mountains (Africa and South America, Papua New Guinea, etc)

I was in Africa for a few weeks back in May and I only took a Manfrotto monopod around with me. For the stuff I was shooting (mainly wildlife) it worked great.
http://homepage.mac.com/justin.carls...ser/index.html
Justin Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Tripod has the thumbs up, and especially so with that long telephoto lens of yours Adriano. And because of that long lens, you'll want the best fluid head you can afford, otherwise you'll be forever cussing as you delete the jerky telephoto pans and zooms from your timeline.

My Manfrotto 503/525 combo can be used as a sort of monopod in tight situations. The three legs can be quickly folded together with an upward kick og the spreader, 30 or so seconds of me doing that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRaNQ2p5ipo

You might also invest in a bean bag. With a belt loop or velcro it can be always by your side, and this is a great stabilising device on any suitable gate, car roof, rocky ground.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Carlson View Post
I was in Africa for a few weeks back in May and I only took a Manfrotto monopod around with me. For the stuff I was shooting (mainly wildlife) it worked great.
http://homepage.mac.com/justin.carls...ser/index.html
Interesting shots but I have viewed 2-3 shots only with monopod. Other shots were on the river or on the car. But I have just noticed a good work with monopod. When did you buy the monopod? Did you make much practice?
thanks
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:52 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Tripod has the thumbs up, and especially so with that long telephoto lens of yours Adriano. And because of that long lens, you'll want the best fluid head you can afford, otherwise you'll be forever cussing as you delete the jerky telephoto pans and zooms from your timeline.

My Manfrotto 503/525 combo can be used as a sort of monopod in tight situations. The three legs can be quickly folded together with an upward kick og the spreader, 30 or so seconds of me doing that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRaNQ2p5ipo

You might also invest in a bean bag. With a belt loop or velcro it can be always by your side, and this is a great stabilising device on any suitable gate, car roof, rocky ground.

tom.
I'm sorry but I don't succeed to find on Internet the Manfrotto 503/525 combo. Can you tell me the precise model and how much it costs, please?
I am afraid it weights too much for me (for my travels). About bean bag ... is sufficient one bean kg?
Thanks
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Inner Circle

This page will show you various tripods and prices.

http://www.videokit.co.uk/cgi-bin/store1/commerce.cgi
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:08 PM   #12
Wrangler

Another vote for a tripod + hand held rig. You will miss the tripod if you don't have it. And if it's a choice between a hand held rig and a monopod, a hand held rig gives you more options. I just recently went through this whole dilemma myself but I'm shooting in NYC so YMMV. Currently shooting two documentaries and my monopod is collecting dust. So if you still want one, it's for sale!

My handheld rig is the DVMultiRigPro with a quick release adapter. I have two tripods: the Manfrotto 701RC and a heavier Cartoni Focus/Miller setup.

* You can mount the DVMultiRigPro directly onto a tripod, but I found that having a quick release adapter on both made more sense.
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:21 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
I'm sorry but I don't succeed to find on Internet the Manfrotto 503/525 combo. Can you tell me the precise model and how much it costs, please?
I am afraid it weights too much for me (for my travels). About bean bag ... is sufficient one bean kg?
Thanks
The 503 Manfrotto fluid head that Tom suggests is a fine machine and preferable to lesser panning heads. However, it is probably too large for your requirements. On my trip to Kashmir during the earthquake aftermath in January 2006, all camera and video equipment had to fit in my hands and packpack. There was no room in most transportation for additional equipment, and if you're walking a few miles on uneven terrain, you don't want to carry much.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:31 PM   #14
Trustee

I've been testing the Manfrotto 561B Monopod with the Sony Z1 and V1. Using a lanc remote on the monopod handle, and using a very, very light touch to hold the monopod shaft and handle, I'm finding that I get much steadier shots than I can get handheld. It is still a challenge at full zoom, but far better than handheld. The pod is light and easy to carry on a shoulder strap, or you can lock the camera down and carry the whole assembly over your shoulder for setup changes.
For dead steady shots, flawless pans, etc., there is truely no substitute for a good tripod. The Manfrotto 501HDV head on the 351MVB2K legs, with "half ball" really does the job, but weighs in at about 15 lbs. Lugging it around is the price you pay for really rock solid footage.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:36 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I'll second the Manfrotto 561B monopod, which (gotta add this) has the fluid head built into the base for panning. Not only does that help with panning, but also the usual friction-induced vibrations of the monopod rubber foot on a hard floor is often transmitted into both the picture and sound.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques