View Full Version : Sony HC7 tapes in a HV20 for capturing

George Ellis
July 17th, 2007, 06:25 AM
It turns out that fellow DVInfo'er Terry Reilley and I have a bit in common. My step-daughter is participating in an organization he is running. I want to help out a bit in some of the following weeks capturing some footage. I have a Glidecam and also have a 15' tower plus good audio for in place footage.

Terry has a HV20. I have a HC7. It would be most convienent for me to shoot and hand him the tapes (Terry had a demo running at a booth this weekend of footage he has already shot and cut - looks really good compared to some of the other stuff up and down the way including footage I know was shot on Canon XL1's).

A previous HV10/20 forum thread mentions that were no issues with a HC1 tape in a HV10. I am assuming that with X.Y. Color off, that is still true with the HC7 to the HV20. Is that anyone else's experience?

Dave Blackhurst
July 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Hi George,

I crossed the tapes between my HC7 (xvc on! I presume any additional info is just ignored, but I like how xvc looks...) and the HV20 with no apparent issues - in fact it was how I discovered that the LCD on the HC7 is set very dim by comparison to the HV20, the HC7 footage looked better on the 20 until I adjusted my LCD brightness on the 7...

You'll have some CC issues between the two cams, may want to experiment a bit with settings before you shoot so they are minimal - I've found the color is great on both, but "different".

And yes, either of these cams will smoke most SD cameras, even expensive ones... just keep 'em steady...