Blue Ray-but For How Long - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old November 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Not too sure of the details, but it's my understanding that China has a unique standard for domestic HD - and it's a variation of HD-DVD

So I think regardless of the US market results, HD-DVD is not going to go away a la Beta and VHS.

My forecast? No clear winner ever.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
Not too sure of the details, but it's my understanding that China has a unique standard for domestic HD - and it's a variation of HD-DVD.
Yes, China has their own standard but I'm pretty sure that's based on red-laser technology, like the Avec and JVC HD players here.

HD-DVD would probably be on its way out by now if someone wasn't pumping a lot of money into sustaining the format. We'll see in the next year or two how well that holds up or whether either format gains enough momentum to really make a difference.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Well, I'm over my head knowledgewise on this so I asked someone who really really knows as he was intimately involved in DVD development in Japan.

To summarize

1) Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are supposed to have red laser for downward compatibility. I also recall that HD-DVD and red laser focus at the same depth into the media, whereas Blu-Ray does not

2) The Chinese standard is identical with HD-DVD at the hardware level with some differences at the firmware level

3) The DVD forum has released a new spec (DVD Rec) which is H264 (Mpeg4/AVC) and laser independent and can work with Hidef and regular DVD. Toshiba has already announced a recorder based on this.

So I think the substance of my comment is true, ie with hardware compatible HD-DVD as the standard in China, HD-DVD is not going to go away regardless of what the US movie studios do or don't do. The dog has gotten too big for the tail to wag it anymore.

Just my personal opinion, based on having had Great Danes for years! You could wag a chihuahua by the tail if it didn't bite you first, but wagging a Great Dane would be an altogether different proposition. Although they're generally so amiable that they wouldn't mind if you tried! It's just that you'd probably get a fatal hernia trying.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
The Chinese standard is identical with HD-DVD at the hardware level with some differences at the firmware level.
I stand corrected, or more specifically it appears the Chinese have an even newer HD standard than the one I was familiar with.

Old "EVD" format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Versatile_Disc

New "CH-DVD" format: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...sc-format.html
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #20
Inner Circle

My friend in Japan told me that there is another Chinese standard for red laser, but it appears to be going nowhere now that the CH-DVD standard has appeared.

That seems to be what you were thinking of.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51