Canon XH A2 (Just wondering what it will be) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old November 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear Nick,

Could you please share the custom preset you are using, or the individual setup values for the custom preset?

Certain custom preset or setup values will cause the smear problem.
Old November 5th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Nick,

Could you please share the custom preset you are using, or the individual setup values for the custom preset?

Certain custom preset or setup values will cause the smear problem.
The cutsom presets have nothing to do with the smear problems. I use an XL2 and have had problems with it from the beginning, even buying a polariser to try and curb the problem. Then I researched CCD vs CMOS sensors and found that an inherent flaw in CCD is that each light sensor is designed in such a way that when faced with an extremely bright light source, like the sun, it will cause not only the areas on the CCD that are immediately in contact with the light to react, but surrounding areas as well, leading to a smear.

This is a flaw with CCD sensors and one of the biggest reasons to make the move to CMOS I think. I'm prepared to put up with less sensitivity to light to eliminate this problem, and if the sensor is 2/3in anyway, it wouldnt be so much of a problem.

Although, If I'm wrong here, please correct me. But this is the way I understand it.
Nic Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #18
Major Player

Like others I'd like a bigger LCD and a better sensor, although the current one is not bad at all, but the LCD is a bit too small.

And I hope it will remain a tape camera, because tapes are cheaper, easier to replace, and are a good permanent storage solution, as well as other factors.

I'd also like a better customization of on screen LCD readings, so that I can choose exactly what data I see.

As well as a iris jog button. I'm all for rings, but sometimes I find myself in a position where it's uncomfortable to use iris ring.
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #19
Trustee

3 CMOS chips, an HDMI port and a bigger LCD screen is almost a given for an XH-A2 but I would rather see Canon releases an HD version of the GL2 first with a 1/2” CMOS chip, HDMI output and a 3.5” LCD screen. That camcorder is in dying need of a replacement and I really hope Canon will deliver. Back in 2005 I was constantly hoping that Canon would release it so that I can take it with me to the Azores, Portugal but during the first few days of August I had no choice but to buy a Sony HC1 since I was leaving around the 11th of that month. I almost ended up picking the Panasonic GS400 since I already owned the DV953 but with the footage I got out of the HC1, it was well worth it.

Canon knows that an HD version of the GL2 would sell like crazy and it would be a tragic mistake if they let that slip by.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
but I would rather see Canon releases an HD version of the GL2...
...That camcorder is in dying need of a replacement and I really hope Canon will deliver.
Paulo,
I don't understand. Doesn't the XH-A1 already fill that request? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #21
Trustee

The GL2 and the XH-A1 are completely different in size and weight. The Panasonic 100a was very popular at that time but they still released the DVC30 for the people who wanted a smaller version, and that was a direct competitor to the GL2.

If you notice, besides maybe the GS400, the price of the GL2 have never gone down as much as any other camcorder for a reason and it’s been out for around 5 years.
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #22
Regular Crew

If you had 1 inch CMOS chips in a camera, I'm pretty sure that would bump your price up to that of a RED ONE.

As for the smearing with CCDs, never heard of that. I get beautiful lens flairs with my stuff. No smearing.

I could go tape or solid state, but I would really like to have the option to backup everything to a tape even if I could record uncompressed to a drive.

I get the whole balance thing, and a bigger LCD Screen would be nice.

But...

If Canon could only change one thing about this camera, I would just asked that you give us a feature to flip the image in the view finder! It's not the big of a deal. When the image hits the sensor in the first place it's upside down so you have to actually flip it as it is so we can see it right side up! Why can't I just turn that off? Undo the flip you're already doing?

Seems like to easy of a thing to add to not do it for all us guys who use 35mm lens adaptures!

That's all I have to say about that. :-D
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy D. Allen View Post
If Canon could only change one thing about this camera, I would just asked that you give us a feature to flip the image in the view finder!
Seems like to easy of a thing to add to not do it for all us guys who use 35mm lens adaptures!
I could be completely making this up, but I coulda swore a couple years ago at NAB I saw a JVC camera with this very option. The guy just pressed a little button on the flip out screen and presto, the image flipped. Did this ever make it to market? I think it was in the JVC booth... maybe it was Canon... and it wasn't this past year... maybe I dreamed this. Someone help me out here.

Something else I might have dreamed cause nobody else seems to remember it was this Sony Trinitron back in the 90's had a remote control with a locator feature. You simple walk up to the TV, press a button, and the remote started beeping. It was all built in.. no need to buy some radio shack gadget to do it for you. What ever happened to this simple but great feature?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
As for the smearing with CCDs, never heard of that. I get beautiful lens flairs with my stuff. No smearing.
I find this hard to believe. The CCD doesn't have any ability to alleviate this problem, so it would be interesting how you got away with having no CCD smear when pointing straight into a bright light source (such as the sun... yes i know you shouldn't.....)

Thats why I said CMOS instead of CCD, because CMOS doesnt suffer from this..
Nic Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #25
Regular Crew

CMOS, no hands!

I suppose there is the possibility that simply have not noticed it, and it is indeed there. But certainly not anything that has caused me any grief over it. But I must agree with you that the CMOS chips are much better, I'm just concerned how much they will cause the cost of the camera to rise.

(Such as not being able to flip the image!)

Ethan, yes. JVC has already implemented this feature into their cameras starting with the HD110U I believe. (?)

Which is why it would be nice if Canon could follow suite. The JVC units that do this are well over $10k, so being able to have the feature in the A1 - or A2 - would be extremely beneficially.
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
I'm just concerned how much they will cause the cost of the camera to rise.
CMOS chips are cheaper to manufacture.
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
CMOS chips are cheaper to manufacture.
Well there you have it! CMOS it is!! Thanks, Paulo.
Old December 26th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:

If Canon could only change one thing about this camera, I would just asked that you give us a feature to flip the image in the view finder! It's not the big of a deal. When the image hits the sensor in the first place it's upside down so you have to actually flip it as it is so we can see it right side up! Why can't I just turn that off? Undo the flip you're already doing?

That's all I have to say about that. :-D
I dont own A1 (not yet) but I would like to know HOW the image is flipped when using a 35mm adapter.
Is it like a reflection in a mirror (what is left remains left just with upper side down) or is it like the first one mit with things on the left side appearing right?

if it is the first, you can easily fix it using a small mirror attached to you LCD. If the second, a way harder, you need mount two mirrors on your lcd.
John Welsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51