Hv30? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old September 25th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Granovski View Post
Maybe it will have a 1/2" chip, eh?
It would be nice, but the increased cost and larger camera/lens size minimize the likelihood.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Maybe that'll be the XH-A2 and G2.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Maybe that'll be the XH-A2 and G2.
Yeah, but maybe it could happen with the HV30, too. DSR-like cameras have chips a little larger than a half inch. If the lenses could be modified to maintain constant exposure through the zoom range, and if a tape drive were added, you'd have a nifty little camera (then again, the tape drive could be eliminated, although technically the resultant camera would no longer be HDV, which is a tape-based format). How about a 24-Mbps AVCHD model with half-inch global-shutter CMOS chip, pulldown flags, and full manual control? Might be even more interesting if it came with a lens that could be removed.
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #19
Regular Crew

The Canon HV30 coming out in 2008

So far the Canon HV20 is the best and cheapest camera on the market that can shoot in 24 frames a second film mode, but the downside to that model when it comes to HD is that it's only 1080i

Im guessing that the Canon HV30 could record 1080p full HD using the psf(pogressive segmented frame) methoid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progres...egmented_Frame

What else is already known about the updated model?
Robert McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #20
Major Player

Robert,
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that Canon has announced plans for an HV30? Or are you just speculating that they might come out with a replacement for the HV20?
Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #21
Regular Crew

No, the HV30 is an updated model. Canon stated that it will release detailed specs on this new model in January 2008.

If it is able to give 1080p then I would say it is defently a buy. But the actual release date is unknown.
Robert McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McGee View Post
Canon stated that it will release detailed specs on this new model in January 2008.
Hmm, I don't think so. When and where specifically did you hear that? What is your exact
source for this (from Canon, that is). There's no mention of it on their U.S. press release
site: http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/control...ressReleaseAct as of today (12/12/2008).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
So far the Canon HV20 is the best and cheapest camera on the market that can shoot in 24 frames a second film mode, but the downside to that model when it comes to HD is that it's only 1080i

Im guessing that the Canon HV30 could record 1080p full HD using the psf(pogressive segmented frame) methoid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progres...egmented_Frame

What else is already known about the updated model?
Uh, doesn't the HV20 already shoot true 1080p24 via a progressive segmented frame method? The only real problem is the lack of pulldown flags with which to retrieve the original 24p.

Other than adding pulldown flags, better manual control, and 10-bit HDMI 1.3b output, I don't know what else Canon could do to improve the camera significantly. Sure, a global-shutter CMOS chip would be nice, but I don't see it happening at the sub-$1K price point.
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Like all of the other major camcorder manufacturers, Canon traditionally announces new consumer models at the CES trade show in January. In the past they've also announced new consumer video product a little later in February at PMA as well. While an HV20 replacement might -- or might not -- be announced early in 2008, to my knowledge neither Canon USA nor Canon Inc. has said anything at all about its forthcoming camcorders, so unless the poster is able to specifically identify his source and clarify its nature, this topic remains strictly "Area 51" rumor mill chit-chat.

Old December 13th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #25
Major Player

Personally I don't see why they would make a "HV30" anytime soon. Every salesman I've talked to says that the HV20 is still selling like hot cakes.

If it ain't broke...
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore McNeil View Post
Personally I don't see why they would make a "HV30" anytime soon. Every salesman I've talked to says that the HV20 is still selling like hot cakes.
The same thing could have been said about the HV10, which wasn't on the market very long and it coexists with the HV20 now.
Who's to say an HV30 wouldn't be introduced under the same conditions?

Personally, I think Canon will first direct their attention to the HG line.
We'll be seeing an HG20 AVCHD introduced above the HG10 AVCHD before anything new is brought into the HV line.

Making 2 consumer HD product lines with 2 camcorders each, one tape-based, the other tapless.

Another area of interest is what Canon will release to align a product with Sony's HD1000 & Panasonic's AG-HMC70.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

What I would *really* like to see Canon produce is a very small AVCHD model that records to SDHC flash memory cards. They already have AVCHD to disc (HR10) and drive (HG10), so this is the only media format still missing.

Old December 13th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Solberg View Post
Agreed. I want one that's MPEG2 based and uses a harddrive (and/or CF cards).
JVC G7 or whatever it is called, writes 1440CBR onto HDD, this is essentially the same HDV. With all bad rap the price has dropped to about $1K. It has everything I would like to have, except you got it, good image stabilization. There is almost no stabilization at all, even at full wide. I just tried it couple of days ago in the store, yep, night and day compared to the HV20. With tripod and plenty of light the JVC is IMHO the best camcorder to date feature-wise and format-wise. And it looks great too. Canon, make the same one, with the HV20's 1/3 chip and good OIS, and you are golden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach View Post
Uh, doesn't the HV20 already shoot true 1080p24 via a progressive segmented frame method? The only real problem is the lack of pulldown flags with which to retrieve the original 24p.
AFAIK, PsF refers to 2:2 pulldown, therefore I don't think we'll see 24PsF in a consumer camera anytime soon. On the other hand, 3:2 24p is the next best thing, Canon just has to put proper flags in. And it is not that complex to work with. Using tools developed by community and excellent Eugenia's writeup I was able to load, edit and export 24p HD using plain old Vegas Movie Studio 6. Cannot capture on Win2K though. I hate OS upgrades...

http://www.tech-notes.tv/Jim/Articles/24vs48sF.html

My list of wishes for the HV20 successor is here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=104374

I am on the fence now. I was (and still am) looking at different cameras with saliva dripping from my mouth, still not sure which one to grab. I have a simple DV camcorder already, but I lust for a sexy prosumer camera with good picture, ergonomics and looks. HV20 functionality in the HC1 body would be nice to have :-) I am thinking maybe I should buy the HV20 now and stash it for couple of months. If the HV30 will not be good enough, then I would keep the HV20, otherwise I would return it to the store and get the HV30. Costco reduced its return period to just 90 days, but this should be enough, should it? ;-)
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #29
Trustee

It’s a good thing I didn’t have that many choices (GS400 verses HC1) when I bought the HC1 during the first few days of August, 2005.

Like Chris Hurd said, it may be better to wait until CES and you never know what you’ll find.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Yeah, it was said that Canon will offically annouce the HV30 at the CES convention in 2008.
Source?

"It was said" means absolutely nothing. Who specifically?

If you can't name the source, then none of this is for real.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51