The HVR-Z7, if I worked at Sony - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old October 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Well lets see.The S270 is based on the SonyDSR series body. Those bodies were solid as a rock and you grew big shoulders if you used it for any length of time.
I would have hoped that Sony would have put the S270 into a compact body along the lines of the JVC HD100/200 series.

Perhaps IF they come out with a fullsized version of the soon to be released Z5 they will go with a compact body type.
Of course the DSR cameras have 2 XLRs on the back plus the power outlet to power a receiver and a built in D tap for a light so I'm sure something would have to go if they cane out with a compact body.

Along the lines of the Ike, I've worked with them as a remote camera although the ones I've worked with are not the 40S series. The ones I've used have noshoulder pad, no VF and are powered off of a triax and feed signal thru fiber cable. An interesting setup. Ben Lynn has worked with them for a long time. They are quite pricey and not really something I would take out on a run and gun event but maybe that's because I can't afford them. Picture quality is absolutely amazing but then it would have to be for live TV.

I agree the Z1 is one of the most awkward and uncomfortable cameras I have ever used but it does produce a nice picture. The Z7 looks to me to be as awkward especially trying to hold the camera and operate the lense. I would prefer to have the S270 but looking forward to see what Sony might do with the Z5 in fullsized form.
I can speculate and dream but the heads at Sony will never tell until the time comes IF it does.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:37 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi there
I have always used my Z1 with a shoulder mount, as I too find it bulky and awkward to use.
In fact the other day I had to shoot a couple of sequences handheld without the support and found it very difficult.
I use the LCD 90% of the time, reverting to the EVF only when I have to put a rain cover on the camera.
I've used it with a Petrol hood on the viewfinder and this works ok, except for my eyes i'm a bit too close to the screen to focus comfortably. I've just ordered one of the Hood Pro-loupe accessories mentioned on another thread... I hope this will improve my set up further and make focusing more comfortable.
The shoulder mount set up allows far more stable shooting, but due to the front heavy nature of the camera gets tiring to hold after a while, especially with a mattebox...
The S270 would certainly suit my needs, but it is out of my price bracket at the moment and the Z1 serves me well.
I think we all design our perfect camera in our heads, or look at our gear and think, if only they had done this!!! or as I have with the Z1 so many times, why didn't they make it a small shoulder cam... even if it looked like an XL1.
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51