Do Airport X-Ray mess up Mini DV tapes? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old December 27th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #16
Trustee

I recall a comment somewhere that it was the motorised belts that move the luggage and not the xray. older motors may have a larger magnetic field and that's the cause. I guess you could put each tape in condom and swallow - I'll take the chance of a dropout
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #17
Inner Circle

The security personnel at airports insist emphatically that the equipment will not damage your camera or tapes, but frankly, I think they'd tell you anything to shut you up. This is something I'd probably not worry about too much unless it was really, really important footage, like a modern day Zapruder film or something.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #18
Wrangler

I wouldn't recommend carrying your tapes on your person as you walk through the metal detectors. Those things are definitely producing a magnetic field to detect metal.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #19
Warden

While I still insist on wrapping my head in HD Reynolds wrap, this topic really doesn't answer the basic question. Urban legends go a long way with these topics. Zapruder films aside, the machines your carry on luggage go through are relatively low dosages and your tapes, films (800 ISO and lower), equipment etc are safe being exposed to them. Xray damage to high ISO film is fairly well documented. But damage to magnetic recording medium, LCD screens, CCD, CMOS sensors etc. is pretty far fetched. I challenge anyone to post a link to legitimate review that states X-rays damage the above medium or equipment.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51