Jobs departure could be best thing for Apple at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old January 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

Jobs departure could be best thing for Apple

I don't wish ill for anyone (excepting Madoff) so the fact that Jobs is facing serious illness... I feel for the guy.

However, Jobs departure from Apple - even if it only ends up being temporary (which is doubtful) - could be the best thing for Apple's monoclastic and often tunnel-visioned progress.

With strange and often crazy decisions such as purposely staying away from Blu-Ray, pushing developers and content providers further into iTunes delivery, "standard glossy" screens on the Macbook Pro and other displays and a few other bone-headed decisions that have left the industry and it's users scratching their collective heads, having someone else at the helm could very well be the wake-up call Apple developers and internal decision makers need to really push out some the much needed hardware and software updates we've all been asking for.

Nobody can dispute Jobs ability to be technically creative and massively successful (iTunes saved the company from folding years ago) but it could be that since Jobs has been battling his health-based demons that the clarity of thought he once had has become blurred.

I wish Jobs a full and speedy recovery, but I also hope this forced hand-over of power brings positive change.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

Who knows.... we may even see MacOSX running on Dell hardware one day... But I wouldn't count Steve out quite yet. However, it's pretty impressive to see that AAPL closed the day with less than a 3% drop after all the doom and gloom some people were forecasting.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't think Apple will ever make Mac OSX run on non-Apple hardware, legally I mean.

They make their software and their OS pretty cheap, because they earn their money with the Mac you are buying.

I'm a newcomer in the Apple world, I've only been working with it for a year, but already now I'm thinking many times that I really never want to go back to Windows. I prefer Mac OSX so much in comparison.
That being said, their latest laptop-upgrades and the new 24" LED LCD were moves where I really thought: I'm not that comfortable anymore with this company.
I'm not alone, many mac-users complain about it.

Like Robert, I aknowledge that Steve Jobs is a brilliant man with a brillant vision and drive.
The iPod and iPhone are great products in usability and have changed their respective markets.
But this continuing obsession with making computers thinner and esthetically nicer in favor of functionality have gone a couple of steps too far with their latest update.
(Maybe they learned their lesson with the new 17", but still, that's for people who have more 2500 dollars for a laptop to spare... ouch).

When people said that Apple computers were 'just pc's with a nice design', I always referred to the better written OS, the nicer software and the approperiate minimalism of their products.
But with removing Firewire, matte screens, and pushing a 900 dollar LCD screen that people can only connect to 2 laptops... I don't know anymore.

I hope things change as well. With Snow Leopard they are focussing on making a leaner and better OS under the hood. That's nice, especially considering how well Leopard runs in comparison to Vista already.
Hopefully they will release Final Cut Studio 3 at the same time in a complete rewrite (Cocoa 64 bit?) that will get away from some annoying things (gamma problems, 2k limit, ...).
I was really impressed how Adobe handles R3D files in their latest release from the RED camera, and I hope Apple can learn something from them.

Ow, and I do wish Steve Jobs a good health. I've seen this speech from him on a coincidence, and I was really very touched by it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51