The Nikon roadmap leaked? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old July 9th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The Nikon roadmap leaked?

Have you guys seen this bit of info?

Entire Nikon 2009/ 2010 DSLR Product Roadmap Leaked | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Sounds like Nikon is going to take round two pretty serious which is good for us all because the competition is going to be fierce now. I'm pretty excited to see if any of this actually becomes reality.
Nathan Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks Nathan. Now that looks really interesting. What's missing unfortunately are details about audio input and what control there is over video. But at least it's enough food for thought to mull going for a Lumix GH1 or holding off and going Nikon. Can't wait to see how Canon and Sony lines stack up. Good times for shallow DoF and lowlight capture.
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Trustee

If that's accurate, the 2010 offerings are going to see in the freaking dark. I actually am very glad to see a company worrying about sensitivity rather than cramming more pixels into their product. If it's true.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Burleigh View Post
Thanks Nathan. Now that looks really interesting. What's missing unfortunately are details about audio input and what control there is over video. But at least it's enough food for thought to mull going for a Lumix GH1 or holding off and going Nikon. Can't wait to see how Canon and Sony lines stack up. Good times for shallow DoF and lowlight capture.
Exactly my thinking. It certainly seems worth it to wait a few weeks and see if August 4th becomes a reality. Obviously there's not enough info to speculate that the D300s is the GH1 killer but with the GH1 just now becoming available it seems worthwhile to wait and see. However, even once it's announced it could be several months until it's available to buy.

I would be really really surprised if any of these higher-end Nikon product wouldn't have full manual controls in video mode. Remember Nikon has only released the below $1000 products and now have the benefit of seeing what people want out of these cameras. Manual control is blatantly obvious.

Red better be ready to do some actual releases of real products soon or they're going to be behind instead of ahead. I think Canon and Nikon are starting to get it.
Nathan Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Troutman View Post
Red better be ready to do some actual releases of real products soon or they're going to be behind instead of ahead. I think Canon and Nikon are starting to get it.
Red (Scarlet) is a purpose built video camera that happens to do stills. Nikon is a purpose built stills camera that happens to shoot video. I'm not sure how much ground Red will lose with those who are serious about dropping cash for video. The recording codecs will be the main point of differentiation between the two.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51