dog protection when recording? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old June 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #46
Regular Crew

While doing some camerawork for a friend's movie this week, 2 typical "rednecks" came to the filming location (a public rock quarry type area) and they brought along 2 pitbulls. I have always been terrified of pitbulls by the fact that they are bred to kill. Anyway, we're trying to film this movie and these people are screaming and swearing at their dogs and just making a lot of noise. That's when the pitbulls began to fight, one latched on to the other one's neck and wouldn't let go (Oh, for the record, we were at a safe distance above them looking down, I was hiding behind a tree, lol) and then the people keep screaming louder and louder and it took about 2 minutes for one of the "rednecks" to pull the attacking pitbull off the other one and I glanced over and almost threw up at what I saw. The pitbull that was attacked was white but his neck was red after the attack and even from a distance we could see the blood gushing out. They hurried off with their dogs, screaming and swearing and we resumed filming, though the rest of that day I was freaked out that they left a pitbull behind and I was very lightheaded.
Drew Meinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #47
Contributor

We had a boy mauled to death by a pit bull here recently. Everytime that happens, the owner always says: "I can't understand it, he's such a gentle dog and has never attacked anybody." Then the neighbor usually says: "That damn dog goes crazy out in the back yard and would kill anything in site." Leaving a pit bull off the leash is the same thing as leaving a loaded gun out in the open for anybody. Worse, maybe. People who have them should be indicted for murder and/or assault when there is an attack. They are killer beasts, and the only reason to have one is so it can one day attack somebody.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Exactly, I don't understand why they are legal. I would much rather be chased by a madman with a knife then a pitbull as pitbulls are faster, more powerful, etc. A friend's mom of mine told me how she knew someone that was in a wheelchair and their parents left the handicapped person outside for a few seconds to get something in the house and when they came out their child was dead. His throat had been ripped open by a loose pitbull and no time was served by the owner.
Drew Meinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #49
Contributor

Just read this on Yahoo news. She was worried about the dog so she locked the kid in the basement. THAT is the kind of thinking these people always seem to do. It's not just the damn dogs, it's the damn owners. Look at later on in the article where she says, "...when you're born you're destined to go and this was his time" referring to her own kid. Sheesh. The woman should be locked up for murder.

SAN FRANCISCO - The mother of a 12-year-old boy killed in his own home by one of the family's two pit bulls says she had been so concerned about one of the dogs that she shut her son in the basement to protect him.

Maureen Faibish said she ordered Nicholas to stay in the basement while she did errands on June 3, the day he was attacked by one or both of the dogs. She said she was worried about the male dog, Rex, who was acting possessive because the female, Ella, was in heat.

"I put him down there, with a shovel on the door," Faibish said in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle. "And I told him: `Stay down there until I come back.' Typical Nicky, he wouldn't listen to me."

Nicholas apparently found a way to open the basement door.

Despite her concerns about Rex that day, Faibish told the newspaper: "My kids got along great with (the dogs). We were never seeing any kind of violent tendencies."

Faibish found her son's body in a bedroom. He was covered in blood from several wounds, including a major head injury. No charges have been filed.

"It's Nicky's time to go," she said in the interview. "When you're born you're destined to go and this was his time."

Ella was shot to death by a police officer the day of the attack. Rex was taken to a shelter, but Faibish said she wanted him put down.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #50
Tourist

a pitbull lover

I know that media portrays pitbulls as terrible dogs, and some of them are, but most any dog is what it is made into by man. I adopted my pit from a rescue 20 pounds under weight with broken ribs and a busted nose, she was a skeleton and scared of the fly swatter for years. But she was wonderful, yes she was aggressive with other animals, and needed to be leashed (all dogs should be as no one can tell you their dog will never bite) but she was loving and sweet and snuggly and smart, and she loved children. I wonder how many of you "experts" really know anything about the breed besides the jilted media stories that never tell the whole story and often call dog pitbulls to sell papers when the dog is a mix breed mut. Have you ever looked up a pitbull rescue site? For every one pitbull who attacks thousands are attacked by people, puppies with eyes guaged out, dogs tied up and lit on fire. I would tell you the demons are not the dogs but the ones who often own them. And the more people like you decide that the dog is the enemy, with no real knowledge, the more the dogs are relagated to living with criminals who don't care what society thinks, and who find it funny to beat a dog. I'm not saying this dog is for everyone, just the opposite, there are few people with the brains, courage and strength of character it takes to own such a grand breed. And with owning it comes a responsibility to watch your dog and know when it's time to say goodbye to your best friend. I loved my Cheeka more than anything, I cry everyday because she is gone, but I knew when she crippled her back leg that she would never be the same dog, she could not recover from that and keep her gentle spirit, and so my husband and I made the choice to end her life now instead of waiting till she was in so much pain she snapped at someone. I have loved in my life but never so much as I loved that beat up dog the world wanted to throw away.
Wendy DeLeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #51
New Boot

It doesn't sound like we're in too much of a disagreement here, Wendy. We're talking about beating dogs that attack us first, while we're trying to work. You say people should always keep their dogs on leashes because they might bite someone.

I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that it would be much more convenient if the dogs in question were on leashes, and never had a chance to attack us in the first place.
Chris Carera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #52
Obstreperous Rex

I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that this thread deserves a real beating.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that this thread deserves a real beating.

Or at least a strong leash! Of course, some will cling to this thread tenaciously like a, ah never mind.

One thing to remember, running may not be the best thing to. Some dogs just get more aggressive.

When I was a teenager, I made a delivery to this nice house. I was in a really bad mood, because of a very hard and lousy day. The lady of the house answered the door and was very nice. While we were talking, her medium sized dog wanders out, sits on the porch and watches us.

When we were finished the lady turns and goes back inside, leaving the dog on the porch. I walked away as she went inside, and when the door closed the dog charged right after me, growling loudly.

I turned to see him coming at me full charge. I was so angry that I turned toward him and shouted, “GET OUT OF HERE!” The dog almost broke his legs stopping and ran back to the porch and sat. I left, but I remember it to this day. It has worked since too!

Besides they can run faster than you can. Hell, they used to catch me on my bike.

Mike
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #54
New Boot

Quote:
No way. This is a perfectly well-behaved and lovable thread, if you treat it right. It's just been neglected and abused and made to be genuinely disagreeable by man.
Chris Carera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #55
Obstreperous Rex

Well, I tell you what, it'll either behave itself and become adoptable, or it's gonna be euthanized and put out of *my*misery.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Quote:
Well, I tell you what, it'll either behave itself and become adoptable, or it's gonna be euthanized and put out of *my*misery.
Chris, Chris, Chris,

Easy big dog! It's cool. It'll stay on the porch, down boy.

Mike
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:00 PM   #57
Major Player

So true about pitbulls not all being vicious and constantly attacking people. It's just like it is with a friend of mine who keeps rattlesnakes. He's had them for 20 years and says he's only been bitten 6 times. So, you see, even rattlesnakes can be expected not to strike you 99% of the times you encounter them.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:09 PM   #58
Trustee

i just gotta say, I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!! =). just made my day =).
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #59
Major Player

Yup,

If you run you basically are telling the animal (or person) that you assess them to be superior to you. If you turn around and give them your "You want to catch a beat-down??" attitude, they say "Oh s**t, this person must know something I don't, if he thinks he can whip my ass."

I belive it was Robert Frost who said something like
"Chiefly people take a man
at his own reckoning."
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #60
Obstreperous Rex

My god. You mean this damn thing isn't dead yet.

Pardon me while I fetch a pistol.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51