XL1S discontinued?! Guess why... ;) - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old July 9th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #316
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Grgurev : I just figured out that I'm to young to go to DV Expo East(I'm 15). -->>>

That's interesting. My daughter is considered one of the most gifted up & coming filmmakers in the southwest (no kidding). She gets into every convention, SIG, and festival that we register for. She's nine. It seems that the younger you are and the more talented, the easier it is to get acceptance... case in point, Tiger Woods.
Old July 9th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #317
Space Hipster

<<<-- Originally posted by Laurence Maher : Well,

And I still hold. If you're blowing up to a big screen, this HDV, plain and simple, won't hold up. Not at 25 Mbps it won't. >>>

It's hard to see why that's true. I've projected miniDV that was filmlooked to aroudn 360 lines off a crappy projector (3 year 800 lumens Epson low end business projector) in a multiplex theater with a 50 ft screen and completely sold out the theater (albiet for a single night) Not a single audience member complained about the image quality. To my eye, it looked like low-rez video. Not to anyone else.

The problem is with our assertion is that what I think you are really saying "it to my technicial standards, it does not hold up". You earlier claimed that distributors won't pick it up, but given the number of DV films in theaterical release world-wide, I can't see that holds water either.

While your standard is perfectly valid for you, for many other, filmmakers, audience and distributors, proejcted video is just fine, artifacts and all -- if the content is compelling.

If you just shot Gigli, all the beatiful IMAX footage in the world is not going to help you at all.

And good artist will use the limations of the DV or HDV image to their advantage. I, for one. kind of liked the look in Soderberg's film - I tend to grunge up video for some projects my self - more like impressionism that realism.

No one complains that Van Gogh and Renior's resolution was too low of large paintings... :)

So I don't care too much if the XL2 is DV, HDV or HD. So long as it give me choices for various kinds of imagery - that's all I really want. The most choices for the dollar.
Old July 9th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #318
Regular Crew

Thanks for responding Eric. I could probably pass off as 18 but I dont wanna take any chances. But I really need to know if you can take camcorders. My bro can just take pictures but if he could take video it would be ten times better. Oh, by the way, do you let your daughter use your cam or did you buy her her own?
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #319
Obstreperous Rex

Mark, I've done DV Expo for several years and have always seen personally owned camcorders on the show floor. Should be no big deal. Just check with the show's management at dvexpo.com for a legitimate ruling on that question.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #320
Major Player

Stephen van Vuuren wrote: ----and completely sold out the theater, albeit for one night only. Not a single audience member complained about the image quality-----
----------------------------------------

That's quite an accomplishment, getting that many of your family members together at one time. The most relatives of mine I've ever been able to coerce to sit through one of my videos was 4 or 5 and they were always very critical.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #321
New Boot

<<< Oh, by the way, do you let your daughter use your cam or did you buy her her own? -->>>

I started her off when she was 5 around Christmas time just doing basic framing using a Polaroid Instamatic. She enjoyed it so much that over the years we gradually moved her into motion with very cheap and destructable VHS cameras. She now has a basic working knowledge of the Canon XL1S and the Aaton Super 16 film camera. She doesn't really anticipate any HD anything. She just likes making shorts and mock up commercials with friends and family. She does crash cam stuff with her brother going down slides so owning any expensive gear is out of the question. However, 50 dollar cameras from Ebay and the local Pawn shop poses no problem.
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:15 PM   #322
Space Hipster

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve McDonald :
That's quite an accomplishment, getting that many of your family members together at one time. The most relatives of mine I've ever been able to coerce to sit through one of my videos was 4 or 5 and they were always very critical.

Steve McDonald -->>>

It was a public screening and it was not for my film (I edited it) - one of my shorts was the warmup.

And no, neither of us had any family members other than spouses. It was a public screening and the theater sold tickets.

I did do my own film premiere at local stage theater - got a projector and screen donated, sold ticket and expected only family, friends and crew to show up. 250+ showed up, standing room only.

People around here have a hunger for indie films. But you have to beat the pavement to get the word out.
Old July 10th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #323
Regular Crew

Your daughter is talented, Eric. I still haven't made a film. I've been writing a script for a Star Wars fanfilm for a year and its still not done and I only have a god awful JVC GR-DV800 that constantly has problems(over the past three days the viewfinder started to blink black and the lcd just displayed a black image), probably has lolux rating of like 100 lux, I got ripped off when I bought it (My brother, Micheal and I payed $800 at bestbuy and then i figured out I could have gotten the same thing with just a smaller lcd for $400) and its has awful battery life.
Old July 10th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #324
Regular Crew

Mark Grgurev, you mention you're making a Star Wars fanfilm. Would you happen to be a member of TFN fanfilms? If so, I'm PixelMagic over there.
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #325
Regular Crew

Hey, Daniel. I am a member of TFN Fanfilms but I dont remember my name or password so i was never able to post. I visit the forums everyday though and i can see your quite popular over there. I'm probably gonna get another name and password soon so, I'll see ya there.
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:07 PM   #326
Major Player

"Who is actually ready to purchase -and- How much exactly are you prepared/ willing to invest?"

Count me in to the tune of about $4-$5K, if this camera is what I hope it will be.

I hope that Canon has the DVX squarley in the crosshairs, and gives us the first DV camera without handicaps.

If we see that, I'll hopefully be snatching one off the shelves as quickly as I can.

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #327
Regular Crew

What if Canon didn't announce a camera at all this week. That would be sad.
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #328
Major Player

Get 'Em While You Can

I'd advise everyone who's determined to spend their money on a Canon XL-series camcorder, to go out and find themselves an XL1s, while there are still some in stock.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #329
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Daniel Broadway : What if Canon didn't announce a camera at all this week. That would be sad. -->>>

Geez, you sound like my brother...

Don't ask "what if" questions or you'll jinx everything! =D LOL!
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #330
Major Player

Are you kidding? There will be a mad glut of xl1s on ebay for cheap in the next few months.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51