Citizen Kane remake to be directed by Tarantino - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old September 24th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #16
Wrangler

Yeah, I pretty much thought that myself. I tried a couple searches at variety.com and got no results for "kane and tarantino" or "kane" on 9/15/04 (the date of this supposed "story." I think Ben is pulling our legs, unless he can provide an actual link from a reputable source. But what the heck, this IS area 51...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #17
Major Player

<<<-- this IS area 51... -->>>

Cmon guys, what took so long!
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #18
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Ben Gurvich : <<<-- this IS area 51... -->>>

Cmon guys, what took so long! -->>>

No, no Ben! I read it on the internet so it *MUST* be true! <g>
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #19
Trustee

That all said, I would like to suggest those who don't care for Citizen Kane to try looking at it from another light. It's one of those movies that had a very strong statement about issues that were very relevant at the time (and actually are still relevant). It is one of those films that is for fans of history and culture and politics, and as such, cannot be watched just on its own - it must be watched once you study and understand the specific history of the time in which it was made.

So while yes, many films should generally stand on there own, there are also those certain legitimate films that need to be viewed along with a study in the history of their time, for full appreciation. Then, and only then, can the mastery of the work be fully appreciated.

And yes, I'm a history buff.

Also, if you have never heard any of Orson Welles' radio plays during the days of the Mercury Theater and the Campbell's Playhouse, I highly recommend it. There's something to be said for those old radio plays. There's no better 'film-look' than the one you create in your own mind as a story is narrated to you.

Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #20
Major Player

Also, if you have never heard any of Orson Welles' radio plays during the days of the Mercury Theater and the Campbell's Playhouse, I highly recommend it. There's something to be said for those old radio plays. There's no better 'film-look' than the one you create in your own mind as a story is narrated to you.

Amen. If anyone wants to hear some of Welles' old radio dramas, check out this site - http://www.unknown.nu/mercury/

I particularly recommend Dracula and Treasure Island from Mercury, and Mutiny on the Bounty from Campbell Playhouse.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #21
Trustee

Great reference site, Joshua! I actually bought the entire collection on MP3 some time back from http://www.otrcat.com

Oh and definitely check out War of the Worlds, and see what all the frenzy was about. They even had the FBI knocking their door down after that broadcast!
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #22
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : Great reference site, Joshua! I actually bought the entire collection on MP3 some time back from http://www.otrcat.com

Oh and definitely check out War of the Worlds, and see what all the frenzy was about. They even had the FBI knocking their door down after that broadcast! -->>>

Some people just can't take a joke.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #23
Inner Circle

>Cmon guys, what took so long!

It doesn't matter. This is area 51, where any joke is real.
You started something good (Classic film + gory new director), just keep it going.

I want to see Orson Wells fight !
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #24
Major Player

IMO Technically speaking, Kane was the "2001" of the 1940's.

Ive seen films made 20 years later and the effects didnt compare.
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #25
Major Player

Just came in on the wires - Altman to redirect "Dude, Where's My Car" with Sly Stallone in the lead.

You heard it here first.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51