Apple HDV Support coming 1/11? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old December 31st, 2004, 11:53 AM   #1
Tourist

Apple HDV Support coming 1/11?

Steve Jobs is expected (rumored) to announce several new products during his keynote speech at MacWorld Expo San Francisco on January 11th. Among other things, Think Secret is reporting that a new version of iMovie dubbed iMovie HD, will feature support for the HDV format ...

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0412expo1.html

This is only a rumor at this time, but it provides hope that some time in the not-so-distant future, Apple will fully (and natively) support HDV in Final Cut Pro.

Just thought I'd pass that along.
Kyle Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 12:48 PM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

www.macrumors.com is saying there will be that and a "headless" iMac at under $600.

heath
Old January 1st, 2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Apple.com has a special for FC express for $99 with the purchase of a new mac.

Maybe a clue that a new program is coming is that the deal ends January 10th.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...12.1.21.1.17.0
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Thinksecret.com and macrumors.com both have an excellent record as far as rumor reliability goes so I am pretty excited about what I read on these sites.
Old January 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I'm a big fan of Mac Minute. They're off for the Holidays, but will return soon. Let's see what they have to report on this stuff!

heath

ps-Plus iCell Phone...
Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Re: Apple HDV Support coming 1/11?

<<<-- Originally posted by Kyle Harmon : Steve Jobs is expected (rumored) Among other things, Think Secret is reporting that a new version of iMovie dubbed iMovie HD, will feature support for the HDV format ...

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0412expo1.html

This is only a rumor at this time, but it provides hope that some time in the not-so-distant future, Apple will fully (and natively) support HDV in Final Cut Pro.
>>>

I've read that too...but it sounds a bit too early and hard to believe...

So you can edit in iMovie HDV....then what?

Encode in some HD format and burn it on DVD and play it from your Mac to a HDTV set?
(reason for the headless $499 Macintosh video-device?)

Or just export to a DVHS deck? or back to the camera(that would be nice)

I seriously doubt iMovie will get support before the pro applications...

but if it does happen...

Apple does it again! I would love to believe this rumor--cause it helps ease the entry point price for editing HDV...
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:19 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

I agree with the point that why would Apple release consumer support for HDV before pro support, unless (as a friend of mine is speculating) iMovie compresses it moreso, and making it less pro-friendly. Which begs the question from me, a non-iMovie user (it's tough as I've been using FCP since version 1.0), does iMovie capture QuickTime video files similar to Final Cut Pro's, or does iMovie make it a little bit of a lower quality than FCP when it captures?

heath
Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM   #8
Major Player

iMovie captures QuickTime more or less the same as FCP. It captures as a DV stream, but there is not qualitative difference.

So you can edit in iMovie HDV....then what?

Encode in some HD format and burn it on DVD and play it from your Mac to a HDTV set?
(reason for the headless $499 Macintosh video-device?)

I don't get questions like this, I really don't. Just because you originally captured in HD doesn't mean you have to show it in HD. If you capture in a better resolution and color and whatnot your work will look good even in SD. Sure it will look better on an HDTV, but you don't have to have one of those to watch it or distribute. You could easily make your own SD DVD from the HD source and it will still look far better than SD and give you a good shot at direct-to-video distribution. What are you complaining about?
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #9
New Boot

Apple just sued Think Secret for disclosing trade secrets so they must be on to something.

It is just like Apple to declare HDV to be a consumer format and provide support in iMovie before FCP -- which is for real HD, not HD lite.
Thomas Ferlauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #10
Skyonic New York

just got back from apple today, i actually saw the headless mac, i was not supposed to see it, it is very small, that rumor is dead on...it was explained to me they built these due to pressure from wall street, a perfect applcation would the education market, they are small enough to fit a desk draw where a teaher can lock them up for the night ...

...i also saw the two new ipod flash players...i can't say much about them due to chris making me use my real name here, except i think they are terrible, they are designed to save money, and operating them was not easy for me (i'm an ipod user)...don't bother wasting $100 bucks on these, save and get a iriver or ipod, or use your cell phoe

ohh by the way hdv is coming to the fcp .... :)
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #11
Regular Crew

"ohh by the way hdv is coming to the fcp .... :)"

This will be a free upgrade, right?
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #12
Trustee

Robert, can you pleeeeeeeaaaaaassssssse give more information about the FCP HDV timeframe and/or how it's going to work??

If you can't say anything publicly can you email me?? I would appreciate it very much! chris.murphy@willowstudios.com

Thanks man!

Murph
Old January 6th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #13
Skyonic New York

Chris i saw a working copy, i have no idea when it will be released, and even if i did i could not tell you, but , i imagine this month, then again they showed a working copy at one of the trade shows last year as well, i guess we will both have to sit and wait till next week to see for sure
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #14
Trustee

If it's this month I'll be a happy camper. :)
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #15
Contributor

> ohh by the way hdv is coming to the fcp

It was about time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51