New EX Camera?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New EX Camera??

I found this information posted on another site,does anyone know anything exactly?I want to buy a ex1r,if there is a new camera, prefer to wait one months

Thanks

,,I just talked to a Sony Rep at a local video show. A new EX camera will be coming out at NAB. All he would tell me is that it will place between the EX3 and the 350. There will not be an EX3r nor will the EX3 be discontinued. He also would not tell me if it was going to be a shoulder mount or not. April 5th is the day the trade magazines will get the info for publication,,
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Hmmm. There might be a new EX3 version coming out after NAB but I don't think a E1r is going to be replaced anytime soon.

I'd be curious to know this too, since I need to buy a camera soon.
Old March 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Interesting info - and it makes sense (at least to me) as this follows Sony's pattern of carving out lots of little incremental niches in a product sector such as professional cams. I did get a big hint from someone at Sony Japan late last year (at the EX1r launch) that something was coming in the EX3 "area" this spring/summer. I guess we'll know more in a few weeks! I expect Chris will move this to Area 51 until we get some hard facts.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; March 13th, 2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo!
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well - I've said right from the launch of the PMW350 and the EX1 upgrade to the R that it leaves the EX3 in a strange place. More expensive than the EX1R, better in a couple of regards - but lacking certain (important) features that the EX1R has.

The obvious question which has been posed to Sony has been "so when can we expect the same upgrade to the EX3", and their reply seems to have been "it won't happen".

In which case, a new model to replace the EX3 (rather than an upgrade) seems the most logical conclusion. The question that remains is about timescale. I suspect their marketing people are getting fed up with the question "why hasn't the EX3 been upgraded to an R yet?", so must be hoping the question does get resolved at NAB........
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

My guess Sony is working on another form factor for a lower end camera with interchangeable lenses than the 350. It may be a shoulder mount 1/2" chip interchangeable lens camera or a lower end 2/3" camera than the 350. But why not either update or discontinue the EX3 except maybe they feel market demand should determine that since the new camera may be in a different price/market niche.

It could be such new camera might be in a bit higher price range so they can't really call it a straight replacement. The result might look like EX1R, EX3, 300, 350.
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Major Player

What about a S270-like fullsize shouldermount camcorder with 3 1/2" CMOS chips and with two SXS slots in stead of the MRC-1 CF recording unit? Hybrid in tape and SXS and HD and SD of course. If they can do that it may be an interesting camera for many people.
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Major Player

I suspect the reason why Sony is saying that there won't be an EX3r is that they want to spread that increment a bit further than the gap between the EX1 and the EX3.

The EX3 had some nice feature adds, but I suspect they could introduce a camera with a more traditional ENG body profile (as opposed to the chainsaw) and add 2K to the price and appeal to a much broader market swath.

I think the EX3's basic market was EX1 users who wanted a better eye cup viewfinder and some better access to certain controls with the ability to interchange lenses (or, probably most often, just buy the lens they want for the camera). Most traditional ENG users probably passed on the non-traditional form factor and the overall body durability, and even mid-range EFP users would have to ask themselves how much space they're really saving in their travel cases over a standard, sturdy, more traditional camera body with the EX3's case footprint being nearly that big anyway.

For me, I actually prefer my EX1 for traveling work as it's incredibly easy to pack and I don't have to check a massive Pelican case without locks and hope that it all gets where I'm going.

I have no problem with the EX3...and I have no actual information on any of this...I've done some product management myself, and I'm just speculating on what I might do in their place...

I always reserve the right to guess wrong.
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

What does ENG and EFP stand for?
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Inner Circle

ENG - Electronic News Gathering
Electronic news-gathering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
EFP - Electronic Field Production
Electronic field production - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically since these people may need to go from tripod to non tripod, there's a preference for shoulder mount cameras as they may need to break away from tripods for extended times and often need to do so very quickly.
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Sverker:
ENG - electronic news gathering (TYPICALLY a bit more "run and gun" style)
EFP - electronic field production (normally higher production values - lighting and such)
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
What does ENG and EFP stand for?
Sorry...acronyms are so easy to type. I probably should have said "news gathering applications" and "long form production."

The categories are so blurred these days that these designations may actually create more confusion than they eliminate.
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I'll ditto the comments of Craig and Tim.

I originally wanted a shoulder mount camera because that's what I was trained to use for news gathering. The feel of a camera like the HM700 is almost identical to most big ENG cameras - though much lighter than anything I used - and it almost sold me. For doing things like streeters or bouncing around a meeting doing multiple short interviews, a shoulder mount cam is hard to beat, especially if you're using your free hand to point a wireless shotgun mic.

But I've switched to a smaller cam because I couldn't find a suitable ENG style unit. And because a "backpack" journalism style means a smaller camera is better.

I'm slightly surprised that Sony hasn't come up with a direct competitor to the Hm700 and the Panny 300.
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Major Player

new ex cam

you have to think that it will be a less expensive 1/2 inch shoulder mount. i for one am used to shooting with my dsr300 . wanting to go hd, i in no way can afford the 350 so i was going to make the adjustment to the ex1r. ive shot with it and its amazing on all levels except for the viewfinder being lousy. i am working on an adapter better than the only thing out there, the hoodman loupe, which is better than nothing ,but not much. the one im working on kinda mimics the ex3 vf.
its taking some time, but i will get it done.
back to original subject, on april 5th, we will all know what the new cam is, id bet its a cheaper shoulder mount as mentioned above that will be affordable to alot of people.
hope it is.
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor Heeres View Post
What about a S270-like fullsize shouldermount camcorder with 3 1/2" CMOS chips and with two SXS slots in stead of the MRC-1 CF recording unit? Hybrid in tape and SXS and HD and SD of course. If they can do that it may be an interesting camera for many people.
Cool, and 4 channel audio . so get over to sony and suggest what we Really want :-)
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #15
Major Player

The S270 has 4 channel audio so they know how to produce it.

The other option is a very lightweight fullsize shouldermount camcorder with SXS but without interchangable lenses. Years ago Sony did push the DSR-250 into the market side by side with the PD150. The PD150 at that time was the standard handheld/camjo camcorder in the professional broadcast world. The DSR-250 was definitely based from the PD150's basics. Same glass, same electonics, same picture quality, same lowlight result.

What if Sony would do that trick again? Nowadays the EX1R is the standard as handheld/camjo camcorder in the professional broadcast world. Put the EX1R's technical values into a very lightweight fullsize shouldermount camcorder, add $1K - $1,5K on the price of an EX1R and there you go.

That one wouldn't surprise me.....
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51