New EX Camera?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Closed Thread

Old March 21st, 2010, 05:18 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor Heeres View Post
What about a S270-like fullsize shouldermount camcorder with 3 1/2" CMOS chips and with two SXS slots in stead of the MRC-1 CF recording unit? Hybrid in tape and SXS and HD and SD of course.
I doubt there would be any tape. That would only be capable of 25 Mbs working, so only of use in SD (DVCAM) mode or HDV. If you have 1/2" (presumably full 2 megapixel?) chips, shouldermount design etc etc, it would hardly be worthwhile to then shoot HDV to tape when the camera will do a better codec to solid state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos
.....on april 5th, we will all know what the new cam is, id bet its a cheaper shoulder mount as mentioned above that will be affordable to alot of people.
Unless you know something we don't, I think it's only speculation whether there will be any such new camera at all announced at NAB. Personally, I think something is quite likely, but my thoughts are based purely on wondering why the EX3 wasn't upgraded at the same time the EX1 was - so a guess that it will be discontinued before long in favour of a new model.

If so, then I'm with the general concensus. What I'd want is something between the EX1R and the 350, with an ergonomic lesson learnt from the JVC cameras.
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docea Marius View Post
,,I just talked to a Sony Rep at a local video show. A new EX camera will be coming out at NAB. All he would tell me is that it will place between the EX3 and the 350. There will not be an EX3r nor will the EX3 be discontinued. He also would not tell me if it was going to be a shoulder mount or not. April 5th is the day the trade magazines will get the info for publication,,
Anyone have any contacts with the "trade magazines" or know anything more about the new camera (or if there is going to be one at all)?
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Anyone have any contacts with the "trade magazines" or know anything more about the new camera (or if there is going to be one at all)?
Yes. I write for two of the trade magazines. No I have not heard anything but it does not mean that another of the editors may have received an embargoed release. And if I did know something and told you.... well, I'm from Jersey and folks have a habit of disappearing into the Meadowlands.
Old April 6th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #19
Major Player

Ha!! and you are right in the backyard area of the big Sony Service Center. Well I suppose we will all know what is going on next Monday when NAB starts.
Old April 6th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #20
Trustee

I'll take a gamble and say we'll see an EX 422 50Mbps camera. This is what's missing from the lineup. The SxS cards were designed for the data rate, it remains unused at the moment. The encoder chips have been available for quite some time now. Needless to say this will be a 2/3" camera at a higher pricepoint than the 350.
I believe Sony will transition all of their XDCAM HD cameras to XDCAM EX. The optical disk tech was openly stated by Sony to be a transition solution.
Old April 6th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #21
Major Player

new ex

bob, i think it will be a cam less than the 350. alot of shooters out there are screaming for a more affordable shoulder mount. dropping 20k now is a bit steep for alot of us.
and now that panasonic has improved the 300 to the 370, id be surprised if its not a 1/2 inch SM.
we will know monday for sure if not sooner
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I would say that we can expect camera's with a new breed of image sensors.
The best candidate for this is the "Quantum dot Sensor ( Quantum dots promise more sensitive sensors: Digital Photography Review )
It has a 4x better light sensitivity and a much larger dynamic range.
Probably it will close the gap between film and video.
An EX-camera with such a sensor will be a killer.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Ha!! and you are right in the backyard area of the big Sony Service Center. Well I suppose we will all know what is going on next Monday when NAB starts.
Sony Service Center is walking distance from me...

I'll be at the Sony press conference on Sunday 4/11 and we'll see if anything is announced. I can tell you that we did not receive anything from Sony on Monday or Tues. But we do know where Jimmy Hoffa is and since you don't want to go there, I'd better not say any more.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Sony wear us with joy and the new EX1-R free to give us the opportunity to shoot with EX1 and EX1R 4.2.2 directly :-) 50 MBit/s,as the new canon cameras.
I just moved from EX1 to EX1R
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

DV Info Net will be attending the Sony NAB2010 press conference
coming up this Sunday, and of course we'll be making a full report
from there, whatever it is they have to show. Stay tuned!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #26
New Boot

I am the person that started this topic on another forum site. The conversation started with the inquire about an EX3r, and lead to what I posted. Since that time, I spoke with one of my clients today who is looking to get an EX1r. When he spoke to his Sony distributor about the new EX camera, he confirmed the new camera but said it might not be available until September. Just wanted to pass it along. My client is very good friends with the distributor, so he has no reason to lie. Maybe it's all a hoax, but I don't see why a Sony rep would say it.

Great site. At least you guys stayed on topic :)
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #27
Major Player

Guess we will know for sure this coming Sunday with the press announcements. People keep speculating about anothe 1/2" sensor camera "shoulder mount". With the excellent third party adaptor solutions (e.g. Olof Ekbergh) and being able to use the EX1 and EX3 as shoulder mounts - I really don't see the advantage of another 1/2" camera luring people into selling their EX1-3's and buying the new camera or keeping their present rigs and springing for another camera which will essentially have the same resolution/color/specs as the current lineup. Is it really physically impossible to have a 2/3" camera a bit larger than the EX3 (somewhere between the EX3 and PMW 350) because of technical factors (like heat dissipation etc.)?
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #28
Major Player

Looks like this might be able to be moved out of area 51 now....

Sony Business Solutions & Systems - Featured

1/2 version of the PMW 350 is what it looks like.....
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #29
Obstreperous Rex

Thread closed now that it's real. Please pick up the discussion at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...mw-320k-l.html

Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51