DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   August 22 new Canon news (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/49073-august-22-new-canon-news.html)

Greg Boston August 22nd, 2005 09:04 AM

Here's the official announcement from Canon's site.

Several consumer still cameras, several printers(go to the printer page), a couple lenses, a flash unit. Nothing in the way of camcorders. :-(

-gb-

Marco Leavitt August 22nd, 2005 09:31 AM

Man, talk about letdowns. Sure glad I bought that Optura.

Matthew Wauhkonen August 22nd, 2005 09:39 AM

The 5D sure looks amazing, though. I'd love to get my hands on one of those (why can't Canon make it shoot 24fps instead of 3fps, though)?

Jay Gladwell August 22nd, 2005 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
NOT neccessarily. have you seen HDV resolution material downconvert to 480p? it still looks spectacular.

YES, necessarily!

Yi Fong Yu August 22nd, 2005 09:58 AM

lol, all the hype, i knew we were going to disappointed =).

look at my release schedule:
The XL1 was announced Nov. 1997 and shipped Jan. 1998.
The XL1S was announced Jul. 2001 and shipped Sep. 2001.
The XL2 was announced Jul. 2004 and shipped Sep. 2004.
The XL2S (XL3?) will be announced Jul. 2007 and shipped Sep. 2007.

The GL1 was announced Jul. 1998 and shipped Sep. 1998.
The GL2 was announced Jul. 2002 and shipped Sep. 2002.
The GL3 will be announced Jul. 2006 and shipped Sep. 2006.

if my predictions are correct, the GL3 HD-enabled cam won't be here until NEXT YEAR!

Cesar Ruiz August 22nd, 2005 11:10 AM

Looks like I'll be getting some Sony HDVs after all <sigh>. Thanks for nothing Canon.

Zack Birlew August 22nd, 2005 11:15 AM

Good grief people, just give it a rest. Canon said they'd do something THIS year with regards to HD and I'm sure they will. Just not on August 22nd apparently! =)

Marco Leavitt August 22nd, 2005 11:30 AM

A pox on the first person who says "just wait until NAB."

Pete Bauer August 22nd, 2005 12:32 PM

Yup, still haven't heard or read anything that makes me think Sep/Oct is off the table for a Canon HD announcement. I really believe that the market pressure is going to force them to break the predicted product cycle timeline.

Greg Boston August 22nd, 2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Yup, still haven't heard or read anything that makes me think Sep/Oct is off the table for a Canon HD announcement. I really believe that the market pressure is going to force them to break the predicted product cycle timeline.

Yeah Pete, you know that can be a double edged sword. If they respond to market pressures with a product that hasn't got all the design issues worked out, it could blow up in their faces. Let's just hope that they've been working this issue a lot longer than we think (like when Steve Jobs announced that they had been secretly running OSX on Intel processors for 'awhile').

Put me on the list of wishing for das 'Wunderkam".

-gb-

Robert Mann Z. August 22nd, 2005 01:01 PM

interestingly enough the 3000 d was not announced, its a super low cost dslr priced under that of the 300/350 6mp so maybe there is more to come

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ad.php?t=13617

Yi Fong Yu August 22nd, 2005 01:33 PM

guys, remember, Canon has never catered to market pressure (AFAIK). it's all about quality, even if it's armaggeddon tomorrow, they STILL won't bring out a product that isn't ready. =). that's a quality that i like about them. when it DOES come out, it does blow everything else away. so prepare to be amazed in the next two falls (fall '06& fall '07?) for GL3 and XL3.

meanwhile, there's a word that perfectly describes the situation here: anticlimactic.

Dylan Couper August 22nd, 2005 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
when it DOES come out, it does blow everything else away. so prepare to be amazed in the next two falls (fall '06& fall '07?) for GL3 and XL3.

I want to believe man, I do. I love Canon. But what are they going to come out with to top the HDX200, and will it matter if the market is flooded with them? Has anyone sold a DVX100 to buy and XL2? Few if any. They'd better figure out a way to build a mini35 into the XL3...

Pete Bauer August 22nd, 2005 03:42 PM

Greg and YFY, I'd also like to trust that Canon wouldn't rush a product out the door before it is ready. They've had as much time as all the other companies to see what's happening in the market and what's feasible to do in each market space. My suspicion is that they weren't giving their engineers half-days with long lunch breaks while all the other manufacturers were busy designing HD cameras over the past few years.

Canon is no different than any other company -- it can and does respond to the market to avoid financial Armageddon. Canon just tends to use different marketing tactics than its competitors, such as eschewing vaporware announcements. They do introduce excellent new products that sell well, at the time of their own choosing based on their corporate philosophies and tactics.

Personally, I'm not much of believer in this Canon Product Cycle theory. The past timing of the GL and XL lines isn't the be-all and end-all. With miniDV being the only game in town at the prosumer level until just recently, the technological improvement was in baby steps rather than quantum leaps, and I suspect overall worldwide sales volume was at a modest plateau. Companies didn't have much reason turn out new flagship products very often. But affordable HD is one of those quantum leaps; most serious videographers will make the move in the next couple of years (although some aren't ready to move yet, and will keep miniDV viable for a while), which translates to a LOT of sales. None of these companies -- including Canon -- can afford to miss the rush. So, Dylan, to respond to your question, I don't think the "baby step" DVX vx XL2 situation applies to the "quantum leap" move to HD that is just now gathering steam.

So, I still think WunderKam in Sep/Oct. Whether it will as good as, or better than, the competition...well, we'll just have to get our hands on all these cameras and find out!

Yi Fong Yu August 22nd, 2005 09:40 PM

wasn't it chris or someone that said that these DV cams aren't Canon's PRIMARY business? that lenses and other pro devices are what makes Canon rich? this is just one of those "hobby" business sectors to Canon, imho. regardless, i'm waiting. i just hope they release a HD cam that works with my 16x and 3x XL lenses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Canon is no different than any other company -- it can and does respond to the market to avoid financial Armageddon. Canon just tends to use different marketing tactics than its competitors, such as eschewing vaporware announcements. They do introduce excellent new products that sell well, at the time of their own choosing based on their corporate philosophies and tactics.