August 22 new Canon news at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old August 9th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #1
Skyonic New York

August 22 new Canon news

Ok the magic date i have heard is August 22 for new products from canon for photo and video...the spoiler is it was leaked what some of the new high end photo products will be

a NEW full frame canon d5 camera and an updated version of the 1dm2 labled 1dm2N, the updates are pretty much like the dvx had with the 'a' model

however it has been reported that 20 new products will be out, some will be be video, it could be a new gl3 with 16:9 chipset, i don't think it's going to be an xl3, or maybe an updated optura xi...it could also be a new projector, as video was not specific to camcorder or whatever

august 22, feel free to reply to this thread on aug 23 on what a bs story this is, or on the other hand....
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I had an email saying a HD camera may be available in September. I wrote about it this morning on my website.

cheers
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Skyonic New York

well then that would make sense with my aug 22 date...how ever i doubt very much that it will be an xl3
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #4
Trustee

it's probably GL3 as an HD cam =).

it's only TWO tuesdays away, I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Ten to one says it's a GL3 that does HDV & DV. As a HUGE fan of the GL1, I cannot wait for the GL3. I'll be on the list for one the day it comes out.

I just don't think they're ready for an XL3 yet. Gosh, the XL3 has barely been out 9 or 10 months.

Again, let's just remember that there isn't even a way to play back HDV yet on your television other than from the camera or a deck that few own. The HD DVD guys need to get going!

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Well they have to have an HDV cam to compete against sony so I guess that's what they'll bring. Like to see something higher end, but Canon will probably wait it out for another year or so on that.
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #7
Trustee

do you guys remember how long it took from xl1 to xl1s? how about xl1s to xl2? i think that'll give us a good timeline on when we can expect to go from xl2 to xl3.
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #8
New Boot

This might be of interest to you all ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown

"yes canon is finally releasing a HD camera. my uncle is doing all the photos for advertisement/trade shows and such and just got it in his studio today, its an actual working cam too. i dont remember the name of it but it will be HD, and it will set you back 8-10 thousand . as soon as he gets pics ill be sure to post them, and it will be officially announced by canon in novemeber."
Laurence Currie-Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Currie-Clark
This might be of interest to you all ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
"yes canon is finally releasing a HD camera. my uncle is doing all the photos for advertisement/trade shows and such and just got it in his studio today, its an actual working cam too. i dont remember the name of it but it will be HD, and it will set you back 8-10 thousand . as soon as he gets pics ill be sure to post them, and it will be officially announced by canon in novemeber."
That would be a good way to keep XL-2 owners happy if the newly released camera cost considerably more and was in addition to, not a replacement for, the XL-2. Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.

Let the tongues begin to wag.....

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #10
Major Player

I believe that would be Canon's exact strategy at the moment. Somewhere a while back they mentioned that because all of this HD stuff came out so fast, they would have to break their ususal product cycle to get some HD stuff out the door ASAP. At $8k-$10k for an HD XL-like camera, the XL2 would seem like a steal at the (depending on where you shop) sub-$4,000 dollar price tag. So, an HD XL-like camera isn't out of the question at all and nobody really can refute that because we simply don't know what Canon is doing with its HD plans. Hopefully we'll get an answer sooner than the 22nd. Just for fun sakes.
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Boy I'm glad we have an Area 51 for this sort of non-info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown ...my uncle is doing all the photos for advertisement/trade shows and such and just got it in his studio today... as soon as he gets pics ill be sure to post them
How many red flags can you count here? That "statement" is good for laughs only. My uncle, my foot. Laurence, I'm asking ya nicely, *please* don't drag the garbage you find on other sites into this message board. The quote you've found is about as ridiculous as some of the XL2 claims from last year. For example, somebody had announced that their brother or their friend worked in the factory that printed the "XL2 labels." I think this person's photographer uncle is related to that label printer guy.

We should set some new standards for Area 51, because this one just doesn't cut the mustard.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #12
Trustee

lol. either way, i just hope that the new HD cam will re-use the xl lenses i have. do you think they will have? i have 16x&3x leftover from xl1s days.
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #13
Trustee

You can read what seems to be an internal document about the rumored Canon 5d DSLR here: http://www.infodigitalcamera.com/Canon5D-specs.pdf

Can be a fake, but if it is, it's a good one.

A fun read
Old August 11th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #14
Trustee

c'mon it's just 13MP. i thought 16MP came out ages ago and we have 20+MP already. why is technology so damn slow?
Old August 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #15
Major Player

Well, I don't know how a DSLR camera can give us a good guess on what the video cameras will be like. If Canon were going that route, then that would mean we would be seeing a CMOS-based camera when they lift the curtain. This would be interesting to see, though Sony's new CMOS HDV cameras have been said to have issues but do come 98% close to the same picture quality of their FX1/Z1 brothers. If Canon does this, they'll have to do a much better job than Sony did for filmmakers to pass up the HVX200 and even the JVC HD100 (which, in my opinion, produces terrific 24p HDV footage).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51