August 22 new Canon news - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old August 16th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #31
Major Player

Yes indeed! An HDV GL3 with, hopefully, a good 24p mode for under or around $3k would sell like hotcakes. But why change the color scheme to black? I always liked the colorful look of Canon cameras, I don't want to see them jump back to just regular ol' industry standard black just to save $5 or so.
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis
Well, even so, why the Andromeda thing? If Canon were to do that, all they'd have to do is rig the camera to use the fullest possible resolution possible. Plus, the Andromeda is still in beta testing and I can't see it being a good thing to put in camera right off the bat. It's simply too overexposed and open for most users to take full advantage of. Remember, most of the people that buy XL2's are people doing weddings and nature stuff for broadcast. You don't hear too much about filmmakers with the XL2, heck, most of those Blockbuster and Hollywood video straight to video horror D-movies are probably shot on a DVX100/A. Plus, they haven't even gotten an Andromeda device for any other camera than the DVX100/A working yet.
There are an increasing number of people using the XL2 for 24p work, but it's still relatively new compared with the DVX100/A. And as far as adding something like Andromeda, it could be there as an option for those stalwart enough -- and have sufficient reason -- to use it. Ideally, it would use the same external drive port discussed below and have internal logic so that it doesn't have to be connected to a laptop, but even if had to be, that would probably be acceptable to those who really need it.

Quote:
I agree, Compactflash would be an interesting storage medium, but I don't think it will work all too well for HD video. I remember reading something about that somewhere but the conclusion was that it wasn't possible yet. =P darn.
I believe that you will see sufficient Compact Flash speeds and capacities in the not-too-distant future. But it was only a suggestion. Something better is bound to come along.

Quote:
Now if a DVCPRO/HD tape mechanism is $10k, can you imagine what a hot swappable HDD mechanism would cost to be built into the camera?
I didn't mean the drive had to be integrated, only the logic circuits and a FireWire connection. Then you'd be able to connect to a relatively cheap external drive.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #33
Regular Crew

An affordable GL3 WOULD sell like hotcakes (and don't think Canon doesn't know it!), but you just KNOW they're going to have to cripple it in some way. The absence of XLRs is a given, though it's not a big deal since I have a barely unused Beachtek DXA-8 in storage; but there has definitely got to be something big missing. In my opinion, probably 24p or widescreen. I'd rather have 24p than true anamorphic that's for sure.

The thing is I could splurge for the fuller-featured JVC price range, but honestly right now I'd rather not spend that much just to get HDV when there's not even a real distribution medium yet and bugs have already been reported. In general, I don't like being the first to adopt a new generation of equipment technology. I prefer to let the bugs works themselves out first and let the market establish itself and play itself out before investing.

I think that in the meantime, a GL3 type camera would be a perfect compromise of getting a little taste of the next generation, but still being able to affordably wait for the stabilization of the marketplace and the transition of all support technology (which is half the equation in itself).
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #34
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Kim
In my opinion, probably 24p or widescreen. I'd rather have 24p than true anamorphic that's for sure.
Maybe I'm not following you, but anything which shoots HD will have to support widescreen...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #35
Major Player

Eugene, 16 x 9 is the standard for HDV.

One nightmare for me would be if they come out and say "real 16 x 9, 24 p!!!" and still not have made the move to HDV. Wow, I just thought of that and that would really suck. Canon is slow to move, but I hope they're not this slow. Seriously, if this happens, I'm going to move on from their line. Let's hope not and that we get a nice HDV camera.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Haha, you're right. anomorhic, high-def. Still, you know what I mean, something's gotta be missing.
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #37
Wrangler

why assume that something will be wrong or crippled on the canon camera? i don't really understand the pessimistic mindset.

this is the same company which, up until the release of the Z1, offered the most fully-featured, uncompromised camcorder in its class. we could argue over whether its features are the "best" in class or not, but there is no disputing that canon gave consumers every feature they requested in the XL2. interchangeable lenses, native 16:9, 4-mic input options. what other camera can match this? (even the Z1 does not have interchangeable lenses, which are so awesome for shooting nature/wildlife).

whatever canon cooks up will certainly distinguish it from other cameras in its class. whether it is worth the wait or not is a purely subjective decision.

if you believe that something better is already on the table with the sony line and that canon will invariably disappoint, then why wait at all? why even wonder about it. pull the trigger, already.

i keep feeling tempted by the FX1, but every time i get ready to pull the trigger, i don't.

waiting on canon and hoping whatever they bring to the table will be as good as their SD line....

quick, before i buy a sony!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #38
Trustee

If Canon comes up with a GL3 and it features only 16:9 and 24P they'd be giving us what Panasonic has been giving us, only years too late- let's hope they don't do that!!!!!

GL-HDV is more like what Canon loyalists are looking for- matter of fact, isn't Canon one of the companies involved in developing the HDV spec? Would be ashame to see them back another year with no HDV offering for the prosumer market.

Give us a $2499 HDV GL!!!!!!!!!!! (retain the 20X flourite lens!!!)
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #39
Major Player

Canon's hdv cam gl3 cam will just be to occupy some marketspace. I doubt they will do what they have to make it better than the Sony.

It's the HD cam or similar announcement from Canon that more people will be interested in.
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #40
Trustee

That might be true- but imagine if they do release a consumer/prosumer HDV camera at the same price points of the HDV cams out today- I think allot of loyal Canon enthusiasts would buy into the Canon camera- I know for certain- I would!
'
The GL series has nearly "cult" status amongst DV enthusiats- I think they could do the same if they came out with an affordable "progressive" HDV cam- time will tell.
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #41
Trustee

does anyone know how long it was between xl1&xl1s release dates? then between xl1s and xl2? how long?
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #42
Major Player

This may not actually have anything to do with these new releases but the out of stock date of the GL2 is mid-november and the XL2 is december...kinda implies a new product coming in to replace them.
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #43
Obstreperous Rex

For Yi,

The XL1 was announced Nov. 1997 and shipped Jan. 1998.
The XL1S was announced Jul. 2001 and shipped Sep. 2001.
The XL2 was announced Jul. 2004 and shipped Sep. 2004.

The GL1 was announced Jul. 1998 and shipped Sep. 1998.
The GL2 was announced Jul. 2002 and shipped Sep. 2002.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #44
Trustee

THANKS CHRIS!

according to that release schedule:

The XL1 was announced Nov. 1997 and shipped Jan. 1998.
The XL1S was announced Jul. 2001 and shipped Sep. 2001.
The XL2 was announced Jul. 2004 and shipped Sep. 2004.
The XL2S (XL3?) will be announced Jul. 2007 and shipped Sep. 2007.

The GL1 was announced Jul. 1998 and shipped Sep. 1998.
The GL2 was announced Jul. 2002 and shipped Sep. 2002.
The GL3 will be announced Jul. 2006 and shipped Sep. 2006.

if the GL3 is early this year, i think we should all be surprised given the past histories. XL2s/XL3 in '07 sounds just about right =).
Old August 18th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #45
Major Player

Yeah, if Canon made an hdv cam with true 24p, 1/3 chips and some xlr inputs, that would beat the Sony in my book, all other things being equal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51