Successor to the PXW-Z150? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old June 18th, 2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Successor to the PXW-Z150?

I saw a lot of good things written about the PXW-Z90's ability to auto-focus when it was released. I had to do a bit of shooting at a live event on the weekend and took the Z150. (I rarely do live events, but it was to help out some friends.) I wasn't totally happy with my focus pulling when the subject would move toward me (mostly models on a catwalk), so at one point I tried the Z150's auto-focus and used "face detect" (plus pressing the screen to lock in that particular face), but found it was a bit too slow to respond so I switched back to manual for the rest of the shoot.

I've got another personal project coming up later this year and am thinking of buying a second camera to use with the Z150. But I'd like to have the option of it having an auto-focus as good as the Z90's is supposed to be (I was impressed by some posts Doug made which complimented the Z90's auto-focus feature).

Has anybody heard anything "in the wind" about a specific Z150 successor with upgraded auto-focus? (And maybe a slightly better ability to hold the highlights too?)

Hey, I figure there's no harm in asking! Isn't this what the Area 51 forum is for?
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Successor to the PXW-Z150?

Most of my work is XDCam disc or FS7 based but four years back I bought an X70 for backup and certain jobs where a smaller camera was more appropriate.. It turned out to have amazing amazing performance for a camera of its size and price. To me its major drawback was the focusing. Too fiddly for manual focus so used the touch screen focus or auto if needed. The auto was sort of okay but left a fair bit to be desired. When the Z150 came out I gave that a good try out. Basically it was a big X70 in some respects with again so-so auto focus. I decided to pass on it. Whether Sony release the Z90 type auto focus in a three ring lens camera like the Z150 is up for debate I guess. If they were going to incorporate that type of focus system into the three ring lens models I would have expected to see it announced on the new PXW-Z190 and Z280, both three ling lens cameras. But no they haven't included the Z90 type Hybrid Auto Focus much is the shame.

I then tried the Z90 when it was released and when it came to focusing its auto focus is positively amazing for this class of camera. Long story short I've just sold the X70 and ordered a Z90. Out of stock at the moment should have one sometime in July. With some PP tweaks that were similar to the X70 to handle highlights better it produced some pretty impressive pictures.

It was Doug J's report plus Alistair Chapman's experience with one in Norway re the auto focus that convinced me to go for the Z90. Check out the two Sony links on auto focus and then see what Alistair said about the focusing on the Z90. The Z90, NX80 and AX700 all have the same focusing setup. As I say having tried a Z90 convinced me.

Fast Hybrid AF Tutorial - fast moving subjects

Fast Hybrid AF Tutorial - crossing subjects

Alistair's report
The Sony PXW-Z90 ? a compact 4K camcorder with auto focus at it's best! | XDCAM-USER.COM

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2018, 05:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Christopher.

Thanks for that very thoughtful and informative post. Those two tutorials were great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Whether Sony release the Z90 type auto focus in a three ring lens camera like the Z150 is up for debate I guess.
I'm given some hope by Alister's comment in the article you referenced, where he talked about the "stacked" sensor using the new construction method and credited the new sensor for the vastly improved autofocus system. I figure that having three chips in the block, like with the Z190 and Z280, might make it more of a challenge to implement the new auto-focus system. But I'm totally guessing (or, more accurately, I'm totally "hoping").

In general, I certainly prefer to use a three-ring lens camera, which is also why the Z190 and Z280 look so appealing for workaday corporate shooting.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2018, 07:25 AM   #4
Trustee

No probs mate!

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2018, 01:00 AM   #5
Trustee

PXW Z-170

Same body as Z-150 but with X90/NX80's phase detection AF and SLog. It will be the entire X90/NX80 motherboard chipset and programming moved into the Z-170.

How much do you want to bet that 1inch-type Exmor RS chip will out resolve the Z190 and Z280 as well as have more dynamic range and far less noise reduction processing artifacts?

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51