DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   FX1 Out of Stock at B & H (merged with Z1 thread) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/65575-fx1-out-stock-b-h-merged-z1-thread.html)

Boyd Ostroff June 6th, 2006 08:34 PM

Well time will tell. Around two years ago several people posted threads that the VX-2100 was discontinued, but it is still selling. In fact, one person cited that same "ecat" website as evidence that the camera was out of production.

You could be right, but my bet is that the FX1 will be with us for awhile to come...

Mikko Wilson June 10th, 2006 12:42 AM

Hmm, intesreting thread. I cam over to look and see if there was any basis behind a rumor the the FX1 had been discontinued. That is what someone I know was told by a Sony Center Dealer 2 days ago. I ahve no idea if this is true or not, we all know how well informed dealers are!

Intesresting...

- Mikko ... throws on some mroe fuel.

Shane Coburn June 10th, 2006 06:41 PM

So, how will this mystery get solved? Historically speaking, when Sony has discontinued other camcorders, have they come out with a relacement in a certain amount of time thereafter; intro'd a new version at a specific show?

I'm ready to buy my HD camera (that I would like to last me 2-3 years) and the FX-1 was the only prosumer in my price-range. If there's an FX-2 (or whatever) a couple of weeks/months around the corner, I'd hate to make a purchase now without seeing it. At the same time, if a new FX is more consumerish, and I need to get a Z1 to satisfy my needs, I need to start saving...

I know this is all speculation at this point, but how could we get down to the facts and find out the reason behind the shortage and the price hops? Could just be production scheduling problem at Sony for all we know...

Boyd Ostroff June 10th, 2006 06:45 PM

Well I don't think Sony would discontinue the FX1 until after they announced a replacement. At least that was the case with the VX-2000/VX-2100 and PD-150/PD-170.

Bob Zimmerman June 10th, 2006 07:06 PM

wait a few weeks. It seems like something will come out.

Steven Gotz June 10th, 2006 07:36 PM

I don't belive that Bob is correct. It is entirely possible, but I consider it unlikely. A few months maybe. But not a few weeks.

In my opinion, you should buy what is available now. Don't wait. Why? Because there is always something coming out soon, in a few weeks, next month, from some company or another. Always. In the meantime, you will miss how many shots? How many opportunities will be wasted?

Just my opinion of course.

Bob Zimmerman June 10th, 2006 08:57 PM

sorry I meant to say maybe some info in the FX1 will come out. If it's been discontinued or not. Plus maybe in a few weeks some word on a new camera might come out.

John Jay June 11th, 2006 04:46 AM

Sony has to be applauded for offering their flagship models, within class, as a cut down variant to consumers. No other manufacturer does this and long may it continue if only for a limited period. Considering I purchased an FX1E plus HC1E for less than the cost of one Z1E I guess the accounting gurus have drawn the line.

The HC1 and FX1 may be discontinued to bolster Z1 sales but remember these cameras will survive as long as miniDV tape survives which is good enough for several more years to come.

Nevertheless Sony still own the A to Z of HDV

Douglas R. Bruce June 11th, 2006 08:47 AM

I mentioned all this speculation about the FX1 to a couple of Sony representatives at yesterday.
They told me there were no plans to discontinue production of either the FX1 or the Z1.
When Sony brings out a new Pro or Prosumer product it has a minimum expected production life of 4 years.
They pointed out that cameras like the FX1 and Z1 share the same CCD units. The CCDs roll of the production lines in numbers that will pay for their development and give a profit too - those CCDs must be sold before new developed image sensors are ready to be built into a new camera...... Stopping the FX1 to push the Z1 would do nothing to help sell the CCDs that they both share.
If there is any manipulation of the market going on - it is certainly not over here in Japan......production is still going ahead as usual.

Stu Holmes June 11th, 2006 10:13 AM

Interesting report thanks Douglas.

There do seem to be conflicting reports about the FX1 situ with several people saying that they have heard Sony people/sales people/reps say that it is no longer in production, yet other Sony people say it is. THey cna't both be right !

This reminds me a little about the HC1 discontinuation thread a few months ago where a long-time & respected member of the board reported:
"If the HC1 is discontinued, it's news to the folks at Sony in Canada and San Diego. I've just spent 4 days with those sales teams, and they all laughed when I showed them this thread. So...maybe there is a source higher than the HDV product manager that hasn't told his people that their product is discontinued? Could happen, but about as unlikely as pigs flying. "

I don't wish to be unkind to anyone, but clearly pigs do actually fly. - as the HC1 was discontinued around that time and sales stocks have just been running out since. The message here is that just because someone has been around a long time etc and know a lot of poeple doesn't mean that they always have the right facts.

Who knows what the story with the FX1 is, but it's my opinion that the rumours that it is at it's end are true. Others may have a different view.

Bob Zimmerman June 11th, 2006 10:37 AM

Maybe they will continue but upgrade a few things. They can keep the same CCD's.

Mark Utley June 11th, 2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
wait a few weeks. It seems like something will come out.

Even if there was an announcement in a few weeks, it would still be several months before the new camera was released.

Bob Zimmerman June 11th, 2006 09:54 PM

again I meant maybe some info about the FX1 being discontinued.

Martin Doppelbauer June 12th, 2006 09:38 AM

No problems with the availability of both FX1 and HC1 here in Europe. Both cameras are ready for delivery from dozens of shops and prices have basically been stable for many months (not counting the usual ups and downs).

Shane Coburn June 12th, 2006 11:48 AM

I spoke with Ryan at EVS this morning (EVS is also out of stock), and he said that he didn't know anything about the FX1 being discontinued. He said the reason they don't list it on their site, and have stopped carrying it, is because it wasn't selling. He went on to say that they even had a couple of returns on the camera from people who didn't like it; their reasons being no timecode generation and no XLR inputs. He said that for professional use, the Z1 is just a much better camera, and people are now demanding that. He did offer to look into ordering one for me, but "no promises".

Now, this could very well be EVS's experience with selling the FX1, but when I was looking to buy an HD camera, just about every person on this board recommended the FX1 over the Z1 because it was a better value with close to Z1-par performance.

I just find it very coincidental that one store's poor-opinion, of what seems to be a very popular camera, is coinciding with an industry-wide (at least in the US) shortage (and price increase for those that have remaining stock). Maybe the dealers can't say anything, but to me, it sounds like their's more to this story...