2/3" Canon HD Camera..Someday? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old August 30th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2/3" Canon HD Camera..Someday?

I have always been a lover of the images the Canon camera's produce. From the XL1 to the XL2 and now the H1. How difficult would it be for Canon to make a larger 2/3" version of the H1. Since they are leaders in the world of 2/3" glass, I could see how there is a tremedous market for them now that HD is going to be the way of the future for ENG, and Indie film markets. Even better would be a tapeless solution..perhaps like the GV Infinity with their Iomega Rev innovations. I was just curious as to does anyone think that Canon will perhaps someday make a camera that has larger sensors than 1/3".
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I'm sure they can but then their flood-light line would suffer. :-)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Aston
How difficult would it be for Canon to make a larger 2/3" version of the H1...I was just curious as to does anyone think that Canon will perhaps someday make a camera that has larger sensors than 1/3"?
The degree of difficulty depends more on their surroundings in the market place and the actions of their competitors within the market than on their ability to simply produce the camera themselves. The probability of them making and selling a camera with larger sensors than 1/3" is very high, in fact I'd say it's a near certainty. But the time frame for release of such a camera is simply unknown.
If I were to make a prediction as to when they'd release a 2/3" or full frame cinema camera, I'd say anytime between 2008 and 2010, but no later than 2011.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Trustee

My guess is it would be a single CMOS sensor and hopefully a full
35mm chip so that one could use 35mm still glass without issue.
I would like it to be able to capture
1920x1080 @ 60P recording to hard disk using
MPEG4 (or other modern codec), but still have the HD-SDI output.
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #5
New Boot

No need for a big sensor

35mm sensors are very expensive and produce IQ much higher than required for 1920x1080 if you look at their still cameras. If they manage to build a good CMOS 1080i sensor (let's wait and see how good HV10 is), my dream camcorder would be XH-A1 modified as following:

- size - 6x4x4in without lens and handle;
- weight - 2 pounds without lens;
- detachable handle on top, pull-up viewfinder moved into the body;
- interchangable lens mount with full support for EF and EF-S lenses;
- 1 CMOS sensor instead of 3 1/3" CCD.
- replace HDV MPEG-2 codec with MPEG4/H.264 to store full 1920x1080 (60i, 30p) on MiniDV tape, no need for 24p for me;

My main complains about A1 are dimensions, weight, and absense of lens mount for all my L lenses. But unfortunately, all these complaints are very unusual ;-)
Vlad Kosulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Why doesnt CANON just use one (or 3) of the EXISTING ccds from their SLR still camera the EOS-1Ds Mark II. Just connect up some sort of recording device (hmmm...that shouldnt be too hard to figure out) , make a nice lens and thats all the picture you'd ever really need. All the parts exist right now!
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Not meaning to sound condescending in any way, but I should provide a quick word of humble wisdom for people requesting a 35mm sensor,

35mm in digital photography is not the same as 35mm or S35mm in digital cinematography.

The actual frame used in 35mm digital cinematography, as employed by a camera like RED is actually closer to the size of an APS-C DSLR sensor (See: Nikon D2x or Canon 30D etc). It is not the full frame 36mm x 24mm sensor featured in cameras like the Canon 1Ds/MkII or 5D series.

Just thought I should provide some clarity on the issue.

And for a quick visual aid of what I'm referring to with APS vs full frame sensor sizes, here: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...ensorsizes.jpg
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #8
Major Player

What would be interesting though is if someone managed to create a digital Vistavision type camera, one that actually utilized a full 35mm frame.
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #9
Major Player

The full size sensors don't have enough outputs to produce more than a few frames a second over the full resolution.

As to why there appears to be such a big difference in price/performance between sensors or full products for video and for photography, its a question I would like a full answer to myself.

The full 35mm sensor size for a DSLR is much bigger than a movie full 35mm frame, but as far as I am concerned this only makes the question more difficult to answer.
Marvin Emms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #10
Outer Circle

I'd settle for a 1/3" HDV cam, but with all the bells and whistles...like a Sony HC1.

For all you Farsi speaking members: Steve Austin, mar de be austin. :-)
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #11
Major Player

xlh2

3 2/3" chips

$19,995.00

Aug '07
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #12
Major Player

Interesting.
I won't say the information is wrong, instead I'll just say it's not entirely right.
Old October 14th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #13
Outer Circle

How about a 1" one-chip hand-held for a grand? That would be my next baby. :-)
Old October 14th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Jenkins
Why doesnt CANON just use one (or 3) of the EXISTING ccds from their SLR still camera the EOS-1Ds Mark II. Just connect up some sort of recording device (hmmm...that shouldnt be too hard to figure out) , make a nice lens and thats all the picture you'd ever really need. All the parts exist right now!
The simple answer is: because still sensors are not designed for video. :) They're made to output a single frame, and video requires 24 or 25 or 30 frames per second. The technical gulf between the two is huge. If it were even doable to use still sensors for motion capture, companies like RED wouldn't be spending millions on the development of larger video-capable sensors.
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #15
Major Player

Food for thought -
I own a couple of Eos 1dMkII's, and the framerate (with physical shutter) is roughly 8.5 frames / second. Using a 3-chip style beam splitter, like that employed in current vid cameras, you could split the optics to 3 separate sensors, and cycle through them progressively, so that by the time sensor 1 is done reading off, and 3 is done capturing, it's capture time again on 1. i realize that single-sensor solutions are more elegant, but the chips in the mkII are gorgeous, and already in production. Obviously, a beam splitter large enough to cover "almost" 35mm (1.3 x crop) would be expensive, as would 3 of the chips, but in mass production a lot of that cost could be eaten. Give it a nice body, and MANUAL (with an option for radio-remote) control over EF lenses through the existing circuitry and internal motors... WOW!!!!!

Should such a camera come out, the could produce a secondary line of "L" lenses, with built-in zoom motors (also with electronic and radio-remote control).
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51