Atomos Ninja - The DR60 - MRC1k at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old November 6th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #1
New Boot

Atomos Ninja - The DR60 - MRC1k

Which one is the best?

I use a Sony FX-7

The porpuse of the device should be similtanous recording with de Mini-dv tape, So I have an instant back-up in case somethig goes wrong with the tape

I would like a method that could hold at least 3 hours of filming - so I don't have to make a copy on my laptop every hour.

I read that the ninja could hold a HDD of 750MB ( good for 16.5 hours of recording )

Or is there a better device?

Can someone give me more information
Joeri Grandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Atomos Ninja - The DR60 - MRC1k

If you just want a backup copy of your tapes, then the Ninja is overkill, as it records in ProRes at 220 mbits/s or more (HQ version), whereas your HDV original is only 25mbits/s. However, if you want a high quality recording then the Ninja is excellent and easy to use with cheap media. The other solutions are HDV recorders, so will give you an exact copy of your tapes. D
Dominic Witherow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #3
New Boot

No i want to use it als recoring device - because i had some problems erlier with tapes.

I also want to make sure i can use it with my Sony FX-7
Joeri Grandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #4
Trustee

I think what he is saying is there are other devices out there that record to solid state media in the same format that you are recording to tape. You get the same exact quality, but in a file based format. So you would theoretically have the tape version and an identical version on the solid state device.

If you go with the Ninja, you will be recording an a different format completely. This is actually preferred because the Ninja will record higher bit-rate, more color information into a better codec than your camera, making that footage look better than your tape based footage. This is ideal if your goal is to have higher quality footage. However, the files you capture off the tape are not going to be identical to the files recorded on the Ninja since it is a completey different format.

So....if your goal is just to have redundant copies of the clips you shoot in the exact same format, the ninja is not ideal. However....for the price....it seems the increase in quality would be a no-brainer.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

yes, that's exactly what I wanted to say! :-)
Dominic Witherow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun