Any word on Samurai Ver 3.0? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old April 30th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Any word on Samurai Ver 3.0?

An earlier Atmos press release indicated that firmware Version 3.0 would be released on April 30th, but so far there is no word of same. Has anyone else heard otherwise?
Also, still no DnxHD availability.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Any word on Samurai Ver 3.0?

Ron...nope. I've been checking to see if ATOM-OS v. 3.0 is 'live', but No-Joy, so far. I have seen ATOMOS update there Firm-Ware, but not change the 'Version' number on the webpage link. Go figure.

The additional functionality will be a welcomed. I heard Jeromy Young, MD ATOMOS say during an interview at NAB '2012 that ATOMOS will be including Avid DNxHD as a 'free-bee' in v. 3.0. Originally, 'DNxHD' was going to be a $150 extra for those who wanted it, I guess they changed their minds.

I'm still waiting for the 'free' spare HD-SDI cable adapters and 'D-Tap' for 'registered users'. Sorry, that was a little 'snarky'.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi J,

Interesting that they're including the DnxHd. Guess I'd better call B&H and cancel my longstanding order for same. I too have yet to receive the cables or any other promised freebees. Nevertheless, I have been happy with the Samurai/F3 combo.
Regards,
Ron
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Ron, et al...overall, I'm pleased with my Samurai, but I'm a little disappointed in the schedule delays. This isn't the first time Atomos has announced a 'date' and then missed it. If you can't meet an 'aggressive' schedule, don't announce a release date you can't meet. If you 'miss' the date, let people know you're working as quickly as you can to get the product released. Going mute is not the answer, especially when ATOMOS was so vocal during NAB '2012.

As I've said several times, "I'm not a power user.", so, I don't 'need' these upgrades immediately, though it is disappointing.

Regards,

J.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi J,
I am not a power user either, but I second the disappointment.

Product announcements and missed or unrealistic release dates seem to have become the norm in this industry. And I agree, why spawn a population of discontent when proper planning and communication could otherwise avoid or mitigate same? But there appears to be an "if you built it they will come" attitude, and to some extent, the plethora of video gear-heads on this planet have done little to dissuade or deter the use of that approach. Case in point, the Alphatron EVF for which delivery was promised several months back, and here we are at May 1st and no word of same. I had placed an order for the EVF when it was first announced. Not that I am unhappy with my Zacuto, but the promise of a higher resolution screen and SDI were enough to push me in that direction ... oops, guess that makes me a gear-head!
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Ron..."Gear-Head"? Guilty as charged. Heh, heh!

I can make excuses for ATOMOS, I'm sure they're exhausted from NAB '2012 and expediting upgrades, hardware, etc. for their 'high-end users' like James Cameron, but that doesn't do much for you and I. I have no other option but to wait in the queue like all of us non 'power users'. Heh, heh!

In the meantime, I check my mailbox daily for the 'free' HD-SDI adapter cables, D-Tap, and v. 3.0 Firm-Ware. Sigh.

Take care of yourself.

J.
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Jeromy Young (Atomos CEO) has posted an update on Facebook. He apologises for the delay etc and says that June is the likely timescale.
Dominic Witherow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

They did not even deliver the Connect HDM-SDI-HDMI converters they announced a year ago.
The Website still says: Available late 2011" - LOL, yeah, right.

I have already payed for the converters and the DNXhD update many moon ago.

Needless to say, I´m still waiting on the D-Tap cable.

Grrrrr!
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Witherow View Post
Jeromy Young (Atomos CEO) has posted an update on Facebook. He apologises for the delay etc and says that June is the likely timescale.
Facebook? It appears that there is an implied assumption that everyone uses Facebook. Personally, I have no use for it and would not have looked there for a response. The apology and projected availability should have been conveyed to users via mass email or a post on their website.
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Major Player

Ron, et al...I agree. Notifying folks on FB certainly 'presumes' a lot. When I tried to get on ATOMOS' FB Page a couple of minutes it was not up and running. June '2012, eh?

Very disappointing.

Regards,

J.
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Major Player

And June could easily morph into July and onward.

I understand that companies would like to create hype vis-a-vis new products and associated enhancements, but rather than promise rapid access to what might materialize at some undetermined later date, a realistic availability projection would do them more good than harm. And this applies to hardware as well and can be extrapolated to the entire video product industry. But as we have already stated, we are not power users. And frankly, the only aspect of the anticipated Version 3.0 firmware that interests me is the touted addition of DnxHd, since I am an Avid user. Given that the LCD is barely visible in daylight, and the fact that I use an external EVF, I anticipate little use for the zebras and other added features. However, they might interest those whose Samurai is used in a controlled light environment.

Last edited by Ron Wilk; May 11th, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Major Player

Ron Wilk...I have several questions about Jeromy Young's statement, but I am unable to express them at this juncture. I have been told by 'admin', if I want to discuss 'issues' like this to get my own website.

So, I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Best regards,

J.
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #13
Major Player

Sorry about that.
I suspect that we share similar sentiments. Perhaps we should start an interactive blog where the 1st amendment rules or ... we could entertain a old fashioned telephone conversation.
Best regards.
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I also have the Samurai and as mentioned here, I'm also a bit disappointed with release dates from ATOMOS. I've paid and waiting for the Connect H2S as well...

My biggest issue with the Samurai is the low quality (in my opinion) screen, both in terms of brightness and colour accuracy.
I have been in contact with ATOMOS (via the support system) about a better/brighter screen, and here is their reply:

"The Atomos LCD touch panels are calibrated to be SMPTE specification compliant white balance at our factory. This causes the display to be dimmer than other displays which deviate form the SMPTE standard to give better performance in the sun.

We do realise this is not ideal for use in sunlight and we recommend a hood, which Atomos will make in the near future. Make shift hoods are available in the interim from makers such as Hoodman USA.

We are working with our LCD maker to improve the brightness and stay SMPTE compliant on the white point for accuracy of monitoring. This is achievable however will take a little time, we estimate a release by NAB 2012 time frame.

As you can see us replacing the screen will not make any difference for you and from the details we have about the swap you received before you are already using a batch 1 screen which was marginally brighter."
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #15
Trustee

SMPTE seems a bit of overkill when the screen has such terrible viewing angles and brightness to start with. I would think that just being able to "see" something on there that remotely resembles what is being recorded would be a step in the right direction. I don't think any of us owners are complaining that it is isn't accurate enough, were complaining that it is so dark in many environments as to be rendered useless....even in non sunny situations. It is hard to even use for framing let alone focusing.....I am not even remotely concerned about color accuracy. I just want to see what I am filming better than I can see it on my camera. I have an XLh1 for gosh sakes and I prefer the XLh1 EVF over the Samurai.

I love my Samurai for what it does right....but the screen is definitely a major letdown.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun