Serious problem with the Samurai - Files cause PC to freeze at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old July 10th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Serious problem with the Samurai - Files cause PC to freeze

READ FIRST: I might have found the problem and it might not be the samurai.
The files which wonīt play right on my pc, play perfectly on another PC.
Two possibilities: 1.The Files become corrupted while copying (USB) because they work fine when played from the samurai HD. 2. My PC harddisk is broken, some sectors work, some wonīt.

Will now buy Firewire 800 PCI Express card and a new HD.

Hi,

I bought a Sony FS700 and a Samurai last Friday. Everthing worked well until yesterday.
I recorded some files (using a 500 GB WD disc Atomos recommends) and ingested them into my PC.

Those files would hang up quicktime and if imported into premiere cs 5.5 it would freeze the timeline causing my PC harddisk to start working like hell and never ever stop again.

I recorded some more files, formatted the HD of the Samurai...Nothing, the new files would mess up the PC but all the old files play fine. I went to bed frustrated.

Today I put out the batteries (Battery 1 was almost empty, 6,x Volts), waited a little, put them back on again, started the samurai, formatted the HD, tried again and....it works. The files are ok. Itīs not the PC. The files from yesterday still donīt work. Iīm happy that itīs ok for now, but if that problem reoccurs on a paid job Iīm screwed!

Iīm trying to upload a "broken" file on my server at the moment but even this does not work, download aborts at 3 %. Iīll try dropbox now. It would be great if someone at Atomos could look into this.

Edit: Ok, even dropbox is beiing crashed by the file. It doesnīt stop indexing and the whole pc is working like an old 486. Had to reboot in safe mode because dropbox autostarts and starts indexing again crashing the PC.

Edit2: Ok, the problem is there again. I cannot say what causes it.

Last edited by Felix Steinhardt; July 10th, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Felix Steinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Serious problem with the Samurai - Files cause PC to freeze

Felix...have you contacted the Atomos Help Desk with your issue? My second question is, how much RAM are you running? These are large files and with the minimum amount of RAM it could cause performance problems. I have 24GB of RAM on my workstation and I'm using Vegas Pro 11.0.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

16 GB RAM, Core I7 2600K, decent machine.

No, itīs definitely something wrong with the files after they are copied on my PC.

I made a new Premiere project. Took a file on the timeline directly from the samurai HD and the same file previously copied to my system HDD. I can do all things with the file on the samurai HD (and thatīs only USB 2.0) but as soon the playback marker hits the same file copied to my systemsī HDD itīs over.

Copying this broken file to another external HDD doesnīt work, too. Cannont be read! Cannot be uploaded anywhere! Itīs gone.

But on another PC, the same files work flawlessly when copied from the samurai HDD to the systems HDD. That means, the original files are ok. Itīs either the copy process or a faulty system HDD.

Another thing is, that my PC doesnīt recognize the samurai HDD everytime. I often have to disconnect and connect again many times until I see it.

I just got a new HDD. Installing a new system on that one. If that doesnīt work Iīll get the Firewire 800 card.

Last edited by Felix Steinhardt; July 10th, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Installed new HDD
Made new System, reinstalled everything
replaced the USB cable

Problem is gone. I donīt know what it was...

THE SAMURAI IS FINE!
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Felix...I'm glad you resolved your issue. I wish we had been able to pin-point the problem, but I've used the 'shotgun' method before myself. Heh, heh! You can always do a 'post-mortum' when you get breather, in the meatime, the equipment is earning it's keep.

Regards,

J.
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Felix.

Bad SATA cable connection?? I have had two computers go down with this problem.

The plugs may split and allow intermittent contact. Broken plugs are not easy to see. Try to buy the SATA cables with a small shiny pinch clip on the plugs. The overall design of the SATA cabling system is bad with insufficient shoulder support for assured conductor contact unless you are careful not to sideload the plugs and cable material too inflexible. When you route the cables through the chassis of the computer you may find you need to bend several opposed reverse angles of 45 degrees on the cables to put the ends in a position where sideloads are not imposed on the plugs.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 10th, 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Major Player

I agree, the SATA cable is poorly designed. I have a G-RAID with an eSATA connector, I have to wiggle the cable to ensure contact.

Regards,

J.
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #8
Major Player

I have a late 2009 iMac in which I have installed two eSATA ports at the bottom deliberately because the eSATA ports / cables are a poor design. At the bottom - the cables hang - so their gravity does not pull them to any particular side and its been flawless for two years now.

I took out the wifi card and replaced it with an inboard twin eSATA card and now have the ability to run external GRAID drives and other storage devices at eSATA speed for editing.

Thunderbolt is obviously thee way to go - but I don't have a mint in the back garden.
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun