D-Tap to D-Tap cables? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old August 14th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Major Player

D-Tap to D-Tap cables?

Anyone found any ready-made for use with the new Atomos adapter? I can find kits to make them but not being great with the old solder gun I'd rather buy a couple already done.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: D-Tap to D-Tap cables?

Bruce...the short answer is, "No.". I'm going to contact Remote-Audio, because I use their NP-1 Battery Distribution System(BDS) to power my mixer and digital recorder and I'd like to use the same system to power my camera. They made a custom cable for me to power my PMD-661 recorder, I'm hoping they can do the same for my D-Tap connector.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Contributor

We make them
D-Tap to D-Tap Power Cable 3 ft [D-Tap - D-Tab] - $45.00 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Solutions
Attached Images

http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Alex...since I can't see the other end of the cable, can you make an adapter with a barrel style connector to use with the Remote-Audio Battery Distribution System (BDS)? The R-A BDS is powered by an NP1 style battery.

Thanks,

J.
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Contributor

Do you have any links/pictures/specifications?
Thx
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Alex...this is directly from the Atomos "Knowledge Base":

N2 - Dummy D-Tap Battery
Atomos 'D-Tap' DC Power Adapter

The Atomos D-Tap DC Power Adaptor is a battery-type case that mounts onto the Ninja-2 or Samurai in the same way a battery would. The Atomos D-Tap allows external DC power to be supplied to a Ninja-2 or Samurai (7.2V to 16.8V DC). The Atomos D-Tap's electrical design is based around 14.4 volt battery systems in use by the professional video industry.

The name D-Tap is derived from an industry-standard connector that is made by Anton Bauer. The Anton Bauer product is called a P-tap connector. The Atomos D-Tap uses a compatible female connector which is located on the top. This connector is polarized with a plus and minus connection.

Atomos provides the D-Tap device, BUT the customer will need to purchase the compatible cable. It is a square looking connector - see Fig 1. above. This cable will need to have a male type P-tap connection at the other end to connect to the power source. These cables are available from many online professional video and photography retailers (see some examples below). It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure that the cable is wired properly for polarization (plus and minus). The power source could be a battery in a vehicle, or a professional size battery typically used on a video shoot or even a DC power source that plugs into a wall socket.

Notes on usage:
•The operating voltage to use on the Atomos D-Tap is from 7.2V to 16.8V DC with a current rating of at least 1 amp.
•The D-Tap must be installed in the #1 battery position on the Ninja-2 or Samurai.
•A battery can also be placed in the #2 position and if power is removed from the D-Tap unit, the Ninja-2 or Samurai will automatically switch over to this battery.
•Keep in mind that the attached D-Tap with power will not charge the Battery in position #2
•The Battery Level screen on the Ninja-2 or Samurai will indicate the voltage coming in from the D-Tap

Thanks,

J.
Old August 27th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Following up on Alex Dolgin's post, I ordered one D-tap to D-tap cable from him on Friday afternoon on the US West coast, and received it at noon Monday - having traveled across the country over the weekend. Thanks for the great service Alex!

I consider this thread to be SOLVED.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun