Light hood for Atmos Ninja 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Trustee

Light hood for Atmos Ninja 2

I have read in reviews that the visibility of the display on the Atmos Ninja 2 is poor outdoors. Is there a hood available for it. I am looking for one that blocks all of the light as the Zacuto does. The partial shades can still be a problem depending on the light angle and brightness.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Light hood for Atmos Ninja 2

Hi, Jim! I have a ATOMOS Samurai. There may be commercially available sun hoods, but I ended-up making a decent hood from black matte board and Gaffer's tape. It looks half-way decent and more importantly, it works. Total cost was about $5.

Best regards,

Jim
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Trustee

I do a lot of outdoor weddings. For that I need a loupe that shields ALL outside light such as the Zacoto does. I sent an email to Atamos asking for suggestions and they suggested a Hoodman. Any serious outdoor shooter knows that isn't enough. The light leakage around hoods is huge and that is a serious problem with bright and unfavorable sun angles.

Is the light shield you designed a full light shield with a diopter lens so your eye can focus on the screen? If so, can you explain a bit more about how you made it?

A note to Atamos - I will buy a Ninja 2 AFTER you provide a loop accessory for it. It is a fundamental requirement to use your product as I need it. In all other respects, you have a terrific product.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Jim...unfortunately no diopter just a Sun shade. I do use a handheld 6X loop for critical focus, but it's not something I'd want to try in a 'run n gun' wedding. I wish I could be of more help.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun