SSD not readble on Mac laptop ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old February 27th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SSD not readble on Mac laptop ...

Hi all,

I have come away on location with my Ninja-2 and have been shooting all day, now I want to make a backup on a hard drive. I have plugged the SSD into the Atomos reader and then into my Mac laptop
(OS 10.5.8 Leopard).

A warning message comes up saying the 'disk you have interted cannot be read by this machine'.

Back at home I have a 15GB Mac Pro with Snow Leopard and the disk reader works without a hitch.

On the warning message in front of me I have 2 windows: Initialise / Ignore / Eject.

If I click on 'Initialise' then it takes me through to Disk Utility and clicking on both icons for the disk reader (see attachments), the root of the reader is ok but the disk within it, isn't.

The files on the SSD play back perfectly using the Ninja-2 itself but the computer can't see the disk reader. I cannot use 'repair disk' as in First Aid the options are not in operation.

Is this a Leopard thing or is the disk reader faulty?

I look forward to your replies ...

Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
SSD not readble on Mac laptop ...-picture-5.png   SSD not readble on Mac laptop ...-picture-6.png  

Stuart McAlister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: SSD not readble on Mac laptop ...

Is the SSD drive formatted in NTSC? Perhaps the older Leopard is unable to read it. Then you'd need a driver like Paragon's NTSC.
Chris Hsiung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Err, no.

I'm in Europe and I formatted the SSD on my Mac at home and each time I format it after use, I use the Ninja-2. As I did yesterday before setting out ...
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

He meant NTFS, a Windows partition format.

Try installing some updates on your Macs to see if the problem goes away. If not, it's that machine that has an issue with the Ninja. Could be that Leopard is too old.

I believe the Ninja uses exFAT.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Right, thanks. Now I get it.

I did a software update but nothing came up. Guess I'll carry on shooting as the files on the Ninja are still playable.
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I think you are going to need a OSX 10.6+ operating system minimum to read the drive. Your system is too old in your laptop but check with Atomos on their website.
Duncan Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Duncan. That would seem to be the most popular reason.
Stuart McAlister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun