Mounting Samurai to rods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Mounting Samurai to rods

Hi.
Does anyone know of a sliding bracket or something similar to securely mount an Atomos Samurai on rods? My plan is to mount the Samurai behind the end of my camera, so it doesn`t come loose in any way. I have noticed however that there is only one screwhole on each side of the Samurai. Any inputs would be highly appreciated.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Mounting Samurai to rods

I see they have one mounted in just that position in this Tilta rig review, but any of the short monitor mounts would do.

http://www.xdcam-user.com/reviews/ti...-mount-review/
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Major Player

There is any number of accessories for supporting lenses or mounting things with ¼-20 thread such as:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/739109-REG/Chrosziel_AC_401_34_Lens_Support.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615165-REG/Zacuto_Z_1_4_LS1_1_4_20_Lens_Support.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891069-REG/Wooden_Camera_WC_150300_Rod_Clamp_15mm.html
Personally, I’d probably just use a ¼-20 bolt and something like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/817431-REG/CPM_Film_Tools_024_TR_Thin_Rail_Pad.html
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Wow. I can hardly believe the difference in price for what are four similar mounts. From $455 to 30 bucks! That is just crazy. Perhaps the additional hardware you'd need for the plain vanilla rails with holes in, would make up the odd few hundred dollars.

The last time I asked for 1/4 inch UNC stainless bolts at my local DIY superstore, they asked "Is it for a tripod? You're the second person looking for those today." They cost me less than a dollar each.
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi.
Thank you Mike and Trevor. I didn`t even know where to begin looking.

There was quite a price difference.

I think at this point I would prefer the Wooden Camera solution, but I wonder if it is possible to adjust the width of it or if it is a standard size. Also would be nice to attach the Samurai to at least two screws so it doesn`t spin loose using just the one.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes, standard sizes. It looks like the Wooden Camera one might need a threaded rod. I can’t tell if the threaded holes go all the way through so you might not be able to just use a bolt. I’d call or e-mail B&H and ask them. I have my Samurai mounted to a hot shoe monitor mount by one screw and it doesn’t spin loose. I do check it frequently, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting Samurai to rods-rodstandards.jpg  
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Mike. I`ll e-mail B&H and ask them.
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Instead of mounting it behind the camera on rods, I mount mine beside the camera with a Manfrotto 430 long plate.

Just a thought.

Mike.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun