Interested in purchasing a Ninja 2 for my C100 for wedding videography... worth it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Interested in purchasing a Ninja 2 for my C100 for wedding videography... worth it?

Hi I recently just purchased a C100 and was wondering if I should purchase a Ninja 2 along with it as well.

I am currently using 2 5d Mark 3s and 1 Canon C100 for weddings and some corporate/ad work. I edit in Premiere Pro CC/After Effects and currently color grade in post and do not mind putting extra effort into grading the footage. I am not doing any sort of VFX work at all.

I currently deliver mainly on the web with the exception of the wedding dvds/blu ray. I currently do not plan to do any sort of broadcast work.

Would the C100 with a Ninja 2 match well with my 5d Mark 3s? Would the ProRes codec give me that much more control over my grades in post? I'm also wondering if it's worth the weight it would add to the camera as my C100 will be my handheld/R&G camera.

Thanks!
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Interested in purchasing a Ninja 2 for my C100 for wedding videography... worth i

What plugin are you using for grading? Do you use power windows and secondaries?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Interested in purchasing a Ninja 2 for my C100 for wedding videography... worth i

I'm currently using Colorista 2 and occasionally use secondaries to grade skies and bring out subjects. I just received a new computer today though so I'm looking into learning Da Vinci Resolve for the next wedding season.
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #4
"I saw 'em" -- Hiwayne Suggs

The Ninja 2 is a great device. I used one on a feature project this spring.

However, it is cumbersome compared to recording to onboard cards. Also, it turns out that it is almost impossible to distinguish between the camera's compression onboard to the 422 ProRes files recorded by the Ninja.

On our project we recorded to both simultaneously, using the onboard files as backups. Several times we forgot to boot up the Ninja,(or had a technical problem) so the backups were our only record of several shots in the final film. You can't tell the difference.

I think if you're shooting in C-Log you're way ahead in terms of grading later anyway.

But my biggest concern, if I were shooting on the fly with a tiny crew, is the whole issue to wiring the thing up, worrying about the HDMI cable and charged batteries for the device. Also, if you're shooting 24P you have to provide motion in front of the lens to activate the Ninja to get it to roll. Literally wake it up.

So it's a solution if you need 422. But it is a tiny can of worms. Worms you could be dealing with while the shot you need is happening in real time without waiting for you.

Good luck.
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks I do not think the Ninja 2 is right for me at the time. Sounds like it would be a pain to work with during weddings for the time being.
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Ninja2 is better in a complex scene with a lot of moving details or at the case of using the higher iso (above iso4000) when noise is more visible (an AVCHD record makes noise more visible, I-frame only record is much better in this case). Nothing for weddings .-) .
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I don't agree that you can't see the difference. Most of the time I can clearly see improvement in the Ninja2 footage (straigt out of the camera). Sometimes it is very subtle, sometimes quite significant.

See also the thread in the Canon Cinema EOS forum where internal AVCHD is compared to Ninja footage.

Last edited by Winfried Dobbe; September 5th, 2013 at 08:35 AM. Reason: thread moved to another location
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Cinema EOS to Atomos.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Inner Circle

You don't have to actually wonder. First, below is a link to a very complex scene (visually) that has both a AVCHD .MTS and a Ninja-2 ProRes .MOV. Straight from the media (shot with the WideDR profile):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._vs_Ninja2.zip

On top of that, I can attest that you can easily mount the Ninja-2 to the C100 for run-and-gun shooting with these accessories:

Amazon.com: Perfect Path HD-700-4 High Speed HDMI with Perfect Lock: Electronics

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/616252-REG/Pearstone_9041670_9041670_4_2_10_7cm_Articulating.html
And I just purchased this cable, but I haven't tried it out yet. The Perfect Path is nice for the locking mechanism, but I'm interested in how the articulating heads will work out for me.

36" Standard to Standard HDMI Cable | Zacuto USA
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Ah now I may have to give this consideration!

I actually have that Zacuto cable and loved it for my Zacuto EVF.
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #11
New Boot

Here are my test footages.
In my opinion for run and gun for weddings, you dont really need it. I'm a wedding cinematographer myself and I have tried it in the field, it gets really heavy at times.
James Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I have a Ninja II with hard drive and case available.
I stopped using it when I got my D5300 and GH3.
It does not record 1080P 60
I also have a BM Shuttle II available for the same reason
Roger Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun