Using Nikon D800 with a Ninja. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old September 4th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Using Nikon D800 with a Ninja.

So I have a real basic and probably dumb question. I have just recently started looking looking into external recording solutions to augment my D800e.

So to record video, you actually don't hit the record button on the camera itself, just the record button on the Ninja, correct? Now that i think about it, could you record to camera's internal CF AND use the Ninja to record simultaniously? I realize the camera recording would be compressed, but would act as a "back-up" if you will in case something wigs out with a Ninja. Sort of a Dual-System as they say in audio.

The Assasin sounds really cool.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 12:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Using Nikon D800 with a Ninja.

I think the D800 limits the HDMI to 720p or lower when a card is in the camera, not just when it's internally recording, so no, you can't simultaneously record in the full quality.

I just had a shoot with a D800 and a NanoFlash. I ran without cards in the camera and got the full 1080p30 picture by recording PsF to Progressive. Be aware Mini-HDMI REALLY doesn't like being jostled around. Having the camera in standby actually made the Nanoflash itself 100% freeze, so to properly enter standby, I had to yank the Nanoflash power. If you bump the cable enough so that the Nano loses contact with the camera, you're forced to reboot your Nanoflash in order to get picture back.

You need to record PsF to progressive with the camera in 1080i mode for 30p. If you're shooting 24p, the camera should output native 1080p in the auto mode, however, be aware that not everything will be graceful with 1080p input and you may end up with a permanent green bar at the bottom of the image. PsF options are only available on the touchscreen Ninjas, the Ninja Star cannot do PsF.

So it is possible, but the only recording device you can use is the Ninja itself.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jack.

It sound like you can't record to the internal card AND external recorder simultaneously? I do realize that the internal card records to 720p, thus the reason for me looking into an external, to get full 1080 res.

But getting back to my original question, does the camera record button get pressed to record? If not, I'm assuming that just the record button on the external recorder gets activated. Now that I think about it that is probably what happens since there would be around a twenty five minute shot limit with the camera and the external recorders have no limit.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't question it, go external.

The D800 actually records 1080 internal, but downgrades the HDMI output to 720p when recording internally. Long & short: Have no card in the D800 when recording and use the record button on the Ninja to start the recording.

The D800 to my knowledge does not have a HDMI rec control packet.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #5
Major Player

The Ninja 2 is now 299, a no brainer choice!

Unless you go for a Ninja Blade of BMD Video Assist for a little bit more.
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2019, 08:02 AM   #6
Major Player

There is a menu item in the d800 for full range 0-255 HDMI. Has anyone tried recording with this option? Also if you switch the system to pal, can you get 25p in 1080i ? In this case you can use the ninja star to record the 1080i. A nice compact solution for a high dynamic range hd camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun