how demanding is AVCHD editing software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old December 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #1
New Boot

how demanding is AVCHD editing software?

Still thinking about the HV-20 vs the HG-10. Since I've come to understand that AVCHD editing software is more demanding of CPU power- I have an Intel core duo 2.13 GHz, I checked out Pinnacle's web site for their Studio Ultimate 11 package. There it is says the software needs a minimum core duo 2.4 GHz CPU. Yikes!

How about other AVCHD editors?

Is there a general rule that AVCHD editors require X% more powerful CPU than if the same program were editing a HDV file for the same speed? Just trying to get a handle on the difference in demand.

Joe
Joseph Zorzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

AVC-HD is extremely processor intensive. It takes a fairly monstrous system to be able to handle it real-time.

The other option is to convert to an editing codec, something HDV users have been doing for years. Apple Intermediate Codec or ProRes on the Mac, or CineForm or something similar on Windows. If you're talking about using a Panasonic AVC-HD camcorder, they've developed a free cross-conversion tool to convert from AVC-HD files into P2/MXF-compatible files, so P2-compatible NLEs can edit the footage in realtime.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion