Unable to import m2ts in sony vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old January 9th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Tourist

Unable to import m2ts in sony vegas

Hi All,

I have had a very frustrating time trying to find any software to support my Sony Sr-7 AVCHD files. I am using Sony Vegas 8.0.

I go to File > Import > Media > and select an M2TS file > a popup appears that reads "Warning: an error occurred while opening one or more files. The file is an unsupported format."

Any ideas? This has happened on both of my computers.

Thanks,
M
Michael Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think that's the error I got when not using the Sony Picture motion browser software... if you're dealing with a file over about 2G, you must use the PMB to import first.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Tourist

i've been testing this with very small files, like 100 mb, and i've been getting the same popup. i can't even get it to work with avisynth/virtualdubmod/powerdvd
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Is this a trial version of Vegas ? In past, there have been licensing issues with codecs on trial versions.

I have Vegas 7 and 8 and both support .m2t file editing. 8 is better than 7.

Ooops, just reread original post, you reference .mts, and I saw m2t. Anyway, may be same issue of licensing, if this is trial version. If not, check Sony site forums.
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Tourist

you know, i've even tried using sony picture motion browser and exporting the m2ts file to mpeg2. I tried importing the mpeg2 file into sony vegas, and a popup appeared saying "an error occurred reading the file. Make sure that you have read access to the file/folder and that it is not corrupted."

So i can't even import the mpeg2 files into vegas. What's up?
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Major Player

You simply need to upgrade your Sony Vegas to the latest updated version. Originally there was no good AVCHD support, but right now, on both Platinum and Pro latest versions of Vegas, it loads the files no matter from which AVCHD camera I throw it stuff from. Latest for Platinum is 8.0c and Vegas 8.0a I think. Check the sony site for updates.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #7
New Boot

same issue here

I've posted a question in the Vegas forum. I was using vegas movie studio platinum with great success with my .m2ts files (canon hg10) - produced movies, etc. I bought vegas pro 8 and now I can't open my avchd files in either. ugh. anyone? ideas?
Douglas Figueredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I have no problems with my SR7 but you MUST use the Motion Browser Software to capture to the PC. In my case these are saved in the "MY Pictures " folder. The software will only copy files that are new, keeping a backup on the PC of everything that is on the camcorder. Open Vegas then in the explorer window go to the "My Pictures" folder and select the files that you want. They will then appear in the assets for your project and can be dragged to the timeline. Originally Vegas only supported Sony AVCHD so I don't know if that is your problem with files from the HG10.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

My experience so far with Vegas and Sony AVCHD has proved that Vegas (Pro 8a) cannot even import an AVCHD-file it has rendered a second ago...

There is something totally broken in Vegas' AVCHD-support.
Matti Remonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #10
New Boot

Answer from Sony Customer Service

This is what they sent me:

Thank you for contacting Sony Creative Software.

We currently do not support the Canon AVCHD at this time.
Douglas Figueredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #11
Major Player

^^^I think that is a canned response to eliminate their having to deal with your problem because I can open my HG10's .m2ts files in Vegas Pro 8.0b (build 217) without any problems whatsoever. Same with the cam's .mts files.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Very likely a canned response...

I'm having no problems with smaller .mts file dropped directly into vegas, or with larger ones imported with the PMB software, which reassembles clips over 2G into one piece.

How big are the files you're dealing with? And are you shooting HG10? obviously Canon would have it's own software similar to Sony's PMB, and you may need that to make the files "readable" to Vegas.
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
...obviously Canon would have it's own software similar to Sony's PMB, and you may need that to make the files "readable" to Vegas.
Yeah, that's what I read prior to getting my HG10 and I can say whoever said that you have to use Canon's software to transfer the files from the cam to the PC for Vegas editing is simply wrong.

As Mike Slavis said in the HG10/24P workflow thread, using the Corel App's interface to transfer the files from the HG10 to your PC converts the file (I have not personally verified) and renames the .mts clip into <date/timestamp>.m2ts. The .mts files are simply incrementally numbered on the cam's HDD.

You can bypass the Corel converting/relabeling app and simply browse the directory structure of the cam's HDD in Win and drag and drop the files from the HDD to your PC's desktop (or anywhere else) and that will transfer the plain .mts files from cam to PC.

As I said above, I can open both .mts and .m2ts files in my build of Vegas Pro 8.0b.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Aaron -

Not sure if you've hit this (the Canon may not have this issue), but at least on the Sony CX7, longer clips are split at around 2G, and the PMB software is required to reassemble them into a single file. Without the PMB software, the first .MTS file is unreadable by ANYTHING, and gives an error somewhat similar to that described by the OP when dropped into Vegas.

Short clips are drag and drop the .mts files for me, but over approx 15-17 minutes (where file size exceeds 2G), gotta use that software!
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM   #15
Major Player

Dave, yeah, the Canon has the issue as well - there's even a software bug write-up with the original documentation requesting users to download the fix. I have personally not hit that 17(?) minute brickwall yet, but from what other users have said, the provided software does a horrible job at recombining the files - as in "not seemless."

I'll waste some HDD space (LOL) tonight and report what happens...
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion