Editing with Pixela 3.0SE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old April 7th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing with Pixela 3.0SE

Hello All; I am a newbie here.
I am leaning towards a HF10 but wonder about editing AVCHD.
Has anybody with a HF10 or HF100 gained enough experience to comment on the capabilities of Pixela 3.0SE that comes bundled with the camera?
I expect it can do simple editing but what options do we have for saving or exporting.
For the web, say at 320x240, and for making DVD's other than blu-ray.

Tom O'Farrell.
Tom O'Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I have Pixela and have been using it a little bit. Haven't had a chance to thoroughly explore it yet. It seems to work, but even on a 3GHz PC with 1GB RAM it's still a bit ponderous. You need the fastest, most powerful personal computer you can afford in order to work effectively with AVCHD.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes Chris I realise I need to build a new computer for AVCHD. Presently I'm using MiniDV (DV25) and editing with both Adobe Premiere and Moviemaker (for it's savings options which are many under the XP sp2 version).
If I go the AVCHD route I'm planning to build a computer with a Q6600 quad core CPU on an Asus mobo, probably the PK5E-wifi series, with a NVidia 8800 Video card and 3 7200RPM drives of 750GB each on raid0, also with 4GB of ddr2 memory.
Perhaps I am asking this question a bit early as the HF-10 is only just on the market.
But my present cameras are at the end of their life and I need to buy something soon.
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #4
Trustee

I have an HF100 on order from Dell, my son works for them and had talked me into checking out their "refurbs" on their outlet pages.

I wound up with an XPS420 with quad core 6600 processor, 4GB RAM and an ATI card with 256MB on it. Pinnacle says quad core is the minimum for editing the full HD AVCHD. I'll be finding out how it goes when the camera comes in.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:24 AM   #5
New Boot

I just got my HF100.
My PC is not quite the latest, but it works OK with Pixela.

Anyway, I don't like this software. Maybe my workflow is very file- and scene-oriented (one scene is one file is one chapter on the DVD/BD). Maybe I just need to figure out how to use Pixela in a file-oriented fashion. But I'm under the impression that I will have a hard time using this application. It seems like it assumes a certain fixed workflow and does not let you stray from it.
And by the way, where's the frame-by-frame forward/rewind? I can't believe an editor doesn't put that feature on a couple big buttons. Maybe it doesn't have that feature at all - which would be awful.

In any case, after you install it, dig through the menus - there's a place where it verifies for updates. There's an update released on March 25, it fixes a bug related to files >2GB (no, not THE bug discussed on this forum, just related).
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I read that some NLE's benefit from multi-core CPU's (Premiere) and some (Vegas) do not, they rely on RAM instead.
Interesting that Pinnacle recommend quad core for AVCHD.
I don't know about Pixela 3.0SE that comes bundled with the Canon.
I have read heavy criticism of Pixela as being a lightweight NLE.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion