Help! How can I get rid of wind noise in SR11. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old April 19th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #16
Major Player

Bruce i never realised the Videomic is as large as you say, the SVM is pretty big but i think you are saying you dont actualy use the SVM fitted on your cam, i just manage it fitted to my consumer cam but the muff neaded a trim.
Thanks for the reply.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #17
Trustee

Correct, Martyn. I tried the SVM mounted on a Panasonic PV GS500 ONCE. Even with a lens hood on the cam I got hairs hanging down in the field of view and had to reshoot footage using a Jones bracket to mount the SVM about 8" above the cam.

I shot one more project with the mic on the Jones bracket and from then on either stand mounted the mic close in to the talent, or stand and boom mounted it suspended above and about 2 feet in front of the talent. The effort has always been worth it as I get good audio this way.

The only mic I use mounted on the cam is the Canon DM-100 on Canon HF100's. This is a 2 pattern stereo and monaural shotgun mic with a well fitted Deadcat windmuff and I generally use it with the 90 degree stereo setting where it favors pickup from straight ahead with slight side rejection. One outdoor project I used it on was a military remembrance ceremony at Lackland AFB and the windmuff took care of killing breeze noise very well.

Where I want a lot of "ambient" audio along with dialog I will tend to use the Rode SVM in fairly close, I've had real good luck with that. The Rode Videomic is for where I need a little ambient audio but dominant dialog, again the tests I've seen indicate this mic is best used in as close as you can get it without it showing in the frame.

The DM-100 is for "lazy", when I don't want to have to keep up with stands and cords.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi

I just bought the ”Stick-On fur windscreen” and tested it yesterday with my Sony SR11 and all I can say is.
This little thing really works.

I went to the top of one of the bridges here in Stockholm on a windy day and pointed the camera towards the wind and then went home to look and listen to the sound and guess what?

There was NO windnoise at all.
I could here my own voice clearly and the traffic as well and NO noise.

If I had done the same without the ”Stick-On fur windscreen” the sound would have been useless.

Now I can actually use my Sony SR11 on a windy day without bringing the Röde SVM every time.

This little piece of fur is just superb.

Cheers

Hans
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #19
New Boot

Hello,

I have also just purchased a stick o 'windcutter'. It works very well and means I can actually use the original soundtrack to my movies (to date i had been removing the original track with the howling wind).
Giles Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #20
Major Player

Where did you guys purchased it from?
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Regular Crew

A couple questions about this stick on fur windscreen:

1. When you ordered, did you specify the exact dimensions as they request, or did you just order it for the SR-11 and they knew what size? For my SR-11, I measure approx 15/16" by 15/16", although it is hard to be precise because my measuring tape only measures in 1/8" intervals.

2. Can the thing be removed and reattached multiple times, so you can use it only when needed. Or is it more or less permanently attached?

Thanks.
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi

1. I did measure as good as i could and I came to " 24mm X 24mm " and that worked really well

2.It "should" be permanenly attached and there is no reason to not have there all the time, it is just a small pieace of fur just "sitting" there over the mic.

You have to be very careful when you put it on so that it really covers the "mic area", so even if you could/can take it on and off , I would not do that

I hope this helps

Cheers

Hans
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #23
Regular Crew

That does help. I think I will order one and use your 24mm x24 mm measurement when I specify the size since that worked well for your SR11. Thanks.
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #24
Major Player

The Furpiece May Be Good for Digital Still Cameras with Video

The new Sony HX1 camera with HD video is known to have bad wind noise and of course, there's no input for an external mike. This might be a good solution.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM   #25
Major Player

2 Sided tape Windscreen

Hi,

I did a simular thing on my old Panasonic Palmsite camera. I just used 2 sided Scotch tape. It worked pretty well or me. I got the windscreen at a local camera store for $25us. A little pricey but then I knew it was the correct type of material. Then I cut it to size. I did not have a chance to test the camera in leavy wind before upgrading to a new Sony FX-7 so I can't comment on that part. This is a good way to test different configurations before perminantly attaching it with velcro.

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM   #26
Major Player

The Stick-on Windcutter URL

This may be the mini windscreen that has been mentioned previously:
http://www.thewindcutter.com/shop/in...dex&cPath=1_80

It comes with its own adhesive and is custom-cut by the manufacturer to match the dimensions you furnish about the size of the external mike opening. It costs $15. (U.S.). Most small camcorders or cameras would need just one, if the two openings are close together or might require two, if they are separated by too much space. I'd be inclined to give just one dimension, to span across the whole mike area. I haven't used one of these, so I can't comment about its effectiveness.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I tried the windcutter and it did not work for me. Shot a wedding with wind gusts of 25 mph and ruined the audio. Thank god the paster recorded it and I got to use that. Will be looking for an external mic for my SR11.
Randy Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 06:17 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I've just received a big sheet of fur and backing from Rycote for under £15. I got it to make a muff for my HF S100 which is terrible in the wind. I'm still working on how it will fit becaue there's not a lot of space what with the manual control knob and ext. mic. socket. I think I might start by making a band out of knicker elastic and putting two pads of fur to cover the mics.

I reckon there's enough material to do this and make a couple of dead cats for my Rode Videomic. My wife is pretty handy with needle and thread, so I'm hoping I can sell one on Ebay and get my money back. :)
Old February 7th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #29
Major Player

Ha I got this. I use the SR11 as a helmet cam and to cut the wind I do this.

Put two pieces of masking tape on the mic in the shape of a V. With the open end of the V facing forward. Be sure to cover the sides of the mic. I find almost all the wind noises is coming from the sides. Try that.
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #30
Regular Crew

My wife made up the windjammers. It took her age and made one hell of a mess. Seems the material is a pig to work with. Anyway, the one she made for the Rode Videomic looks great. The HF S100 was not so straightforward. We ended up with a thick ribbon that goes around the barrel and cut out holes where the mics are located. Then sewed a couple of rectangular pieces of furry stuff over the holes. It makes the camera look like an ageing guinea pig and it covers the manual control knob and the pop-up light.

I tested it with a hairdryer and it does cut down the noise through earphones. When I tried to record the results, all you could hear on playback was the hairdryer. I'll give it a try on a windy day and post the results.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion