Panasonic HDC-SD9 and over-saturated greens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old April 29th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic HDC-SD9 and over-saturated greens

I am wondering if other users of Panasonic's SD9 have experienced color issues similar to the one I describe below...

I have only had the camera for a few days and am testing its feasibility as a second camera for the HVX.

The SD9's poor low light performance has been reported elsewhere and I can live with it in that regard.

What may be a deal-breaker is its handling of color, specifically green. The white balance controls do not do the trick. The greens are so saturated and at times distorted that I'm wondering if there is an issue with my camera or if this is what all SD9s looks like.

As it turns out the SD9's 24p mode cannot be enabled without also enabling the cameras "Cinecolor" mode. This mode increases color saturation. Almost attempting to emulate Kodachrome to my eyes.

Even with the 24p and Cinecolor turned off, my SD9's greens seem off.

Any SD9 users experience similar issues?

Thanks,

Matt
Matthew Cibelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Moderator, please delete this post, I couldn't find a way to do it as a normal user.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Cibelli View Post
I am wondering if other users of Panasonic's SD9 have experienced color issues similar to the one I describe below...

I have only had the camera for a few days and am testing its feasibility as a second camera for the HVX.

The SD9's poor low light performance has been reported elsewhere and I can live with it in that regard.

What may be a deal-breaker is its handling of color, specifically green. The white balance controls do not do the trick. The greens are so saturated and at times distorted that I'm wondering if there is an issue with my camera or if this is what all SD9s looks like.

As it turns out the SD9's 24p mode cannot be enabled without also enabling the cameras "Cinecolor" mode. This mode increases color saturation. Almost attempting to emulate Kodachrome to my eyes.

Even with the 24p and Cinecolor turned off, my SD9's greens seem off.

Any SD9 users experience similar issues?

Thanks,

Matt
I don't have an SD9, but I'm considering it (my short list is down to the SD9 or the HF100). I've shot some test footage with the SD9, but it's always been indoors in the store, and I don't remember seeing any particular problem with the greens. The color is a little oversaturated in 24P mode, as you mention, but it seemed uniformly oversaturated and not too hard to fix in post processing if desired. I've also seen several samples of outdoor SD9 video on the net and the colors actually looked quite natural to me. I suppose you could have a bad camera.

Do you have a short clip you can post that highlights the problem?
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #4
Tourist

Hi Matt,

I also have the same issue although it seams to me that the issue is in automatic white balance. If I use manual white balance (even on a non-perfect white) then the color is definetely less greenish - e.g. the sky is more blue.

But, as am not an expert - how can one "proove" it?

Gordan
Gordan Sket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #5
Major Player

We loved this camera's capabilities and bought it to test it as a b roll to our HVX200 in the 1080/24p mode.

Unfortunately, our greens were yellow and blue. Totally unacceptable. Played with WB but in the 24p mode, nothing worked.

Like Dave, the test footage we shot initially was in the store, and it looked good. Outside, however, things changed.

It went back to Costco.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Major Player

I have an SD5, and I'm pleased with the color. I try to go with the fixed, but have been happy overall. Nothing even approaching the green issues mentioned.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion