M2TS from Canon HG10 and Panasonic HDC-SD9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old May 8th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #1
New Boot

M2TS from Canon HG10 and Panasonic HDC-SD9

I got .m2ts files on my hard drive recorded from these 2 camcorders. I installed the ffdshow codec pack and I can play the HG10 .m2ts files properly using windows media player (just adding the deinterlace filter), When I try playing back the .m2ts generated from my Panasonic HDC-SD9, playback show way too many artifacts; although when I use the provided "HD Write" Software it plays just fine.

I am currently on Core 2 Quad hardware with 4 GB Ram, and nVidia 8600 video card.

What am I missing? Any ideas?
Oscar Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

ffdshow is based on the ffmpeg libavcodec, and this codec still has some issues with AVCHD files, particularly the Panasonic ones. I have the same problem using ffplay on Linux - I can use it to get a crude preview of the mts files, but the quality is not good especially for Panasonic 1080/60i files. The Pana 1080/24P files seem to play better.

This situation will likely improve, but on Windows, you might be better off using the Panasonic software to view the files for now.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosky View Post
ffdshow is based on the ffmpeg libavcodec, and this codec still has some issues with AVCHD files, particularly the Panasonic ones. I have the same problem using ffplay on Linux - I can use it to get a crude preview of the mts files, but the quality is not good especially for Panasonic 1080/60i files. The Pana 1080/24P files seem to play better.

This situation will likely improve, but on Windows, you might be better off using the Panasonic software to view the files for now.
Thank you. I will try with 24p. In any case, its a bummer that at this point not any other "free" software can play back M2TS files created by Panasonic.
Oscar Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Zamora View Post
Thank you. I will try with 24p. In any case, its a bummer that at this point not any other "free" software can play back M2TS files created by Panasonic.
I agree, but to be fair, the libavcodec-based players (at least ffplay) don't even play Canon files perfectly - they don't have as much trouble as with the Panasonic 60i files, but I occasionally still see minor break-ups and pauses.

This seems to be the year of AVCHD really ramping up in popularity, so I suspect support for it will get a lot better among both open source and proprietary tools over the year.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion