Questions for SR11/12 owners. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old May 14th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Questions for SR11/12 owners.

Hello. Has anyone has added a UV filter to their SR11/12? Am wondering if a UV filter might have more adverse effects than positive effects on this camcorder. Also, has anyone noticed any difference between shooting 1920 and 1440, and viewing on a 720p plasma?
Thanks.
Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Mike no adverse effects with a UV filter. Only shoot HQ 1920.
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I wrote a warning thread a couple of weeks ago about not using a UV filter for the purpose of protecting the lens shutters against dust etc. I have a wrecked Sony DVD403 to show for not having a UV filter on at all times.
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I agree with Tom the UV glass is cheap compared to a new lens face. I do the same on my Sony EX1 and all cameras I have owned over the years.
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys, for the responses.
I did a quickie test, comparing a shot with and without the UV filter. My subject was a scenery shot from a high hilltop. There was such a small difference that for all intents and purposes, there was no difference. Indoors, shooting something that is lit through a sunlit window, there is some difference with the color maroon. Didn't seem to affect the yellows and greens. So for what its worth, I too would say that a UV filter changes very, very little. Hoping that on humid days, or days with lots of haze, things will look better. As for the protection, great point.

Mike Burgess
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion