Computer requirements to edit AVCHD - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old June 28th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #46
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Fong View Post
During the crossover fading, it dropped to about 6pfs on average. I was only doing a 2sec crossfade between the 2 clips.
That seems to mean to get 6fps to 30fps -- one needs 6 times more computer power. Wow!

No wonder Canopus says AVCHD cannot be edited in realtime with today's computers.

With a Mac laptop I can do about 6 streams of HDV overlayed -- like your second test.
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #47
Trustee

You can also get many overlayed HDV streams on Caonpus with a PC. HDV is simply less compressed and much easier for today's computers...no arguments there.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:31 PM   #48
Regular Crew

We went with the canon HV30 instead of the HF10 because of the codec issues and editing. But we are adding a hard drive recorder into the mix in order to make capturing faster. But we need fast turn around. You would think recoding to flash would mean fast turnaround... but not if you need to edit it. Not yet anyway.
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #49
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wayne Groves View Post
... still waiting for Sony to release its updates for Vegas 8 so I can play with it some more....
What updates? I thought Vegas 8 already edited AVCHD.
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
I think CineForm is the only way to edit AVCHD using Premiere.

Let us know your results.

PS: Sony claims to edit AVCHD just like you edit MPEG-2 takes 8X more compute power.
I use MainConcept's Mpeg Pro HD to edit AVCHD natively in Premiere. No conversion process is required, just import the files like any other and drop them in any timeline.
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Thigpen View Post
I use MainConcept's Mpeg Pro HD to edit AVCHD natively in Premiere. No conversion process is required, just import the files like any other and drop them in any timeline.
How's the workspeed, Douglas? Can you work in realtime and does premiere need to render to get a preview?
Also, do you work with a quadcore?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #52
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Thigpen View Post
Do you have to buy MainConcept's Mpeg Pro HD?

Can you export AVCHD from Premiere timeline -- or Encore to red-laser?

What about on a Mac?

And, I too want to know performance as I would expect even with a Quad cuts-only would be maximum.
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Hello,

I'm deciding on buying a laptop that would handle AVCHD playback (24mbs from HF11 too) and editing...

right now, I don't own a AVCHD cam, but I am planning to buy HF11 or something similar in the future...

I am torn between two options:

a 14.1"
14.1" WXGA (1440*900) BrightView LCD
• Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4 Ghz 4 MB
• 2 GB DDR2-RAM SO-DIMM
• 160 GB HDD SATA 5400rpm
• Double Layer DVD+/-RW LS
• ATI RADEON X2300 PCI-express

NOTESNIKI - Najugodnej?e cene notesnikov

and 17"
Procesor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz) 1066MHz FSB
Vezje: Mobile Intel PM45 Express Chipset with ICHM
Pomnilnik 4096MB DDRII 800MHZ (ni proste reže)
Trdi disk 250GB SMART SATA 5400rpm
Optična enota: Blu-ray ROM DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL Drive
Grafika: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430 256MB
Vgrajena VGA kamera
Zaslon 17.0" TFT 1440x900 WXGA+ Bright View

Najbolj?e cene za HP prenosnik 6830S (KU425), Core 2 Duo 2.4, 4GB, 250GB, ATI HD3430, 17" - Ceneje.si

If I went for 14.1 I would buy a 24" LCD later and I'd have nice portability.

If I went for 17 I'd get more RAM and better grafics and a Blu-ray ROM... BD, however, is not a factor, because a ROM drive is as good as nothing, I'd need a BD-RE drive, which I plan to have externaly if even... But the portability is a lot smaller - I have a 17 HP Pavillion right now and I don't like to carry it around, although this one is 3kg, which is pretty good.

Now I'd like to know if the 14.1 has the ports neccessary to connect it to an external monitor and if it has the power i need. (i won't play computer games with either)
Jurij Turnsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #54
Trustee

I've got a Sony Vaio, T8300 (2.4 gig) with 3 gigs of ram. It plays back AVCHD very smoothly. I found that if you go below a T8100, playback gets very choppy.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #55
New Boot

In the next 2 weeks I plan on purchasing the Sony SR11.

My 5 year old Windows XP 1 gb computer is surely not powerful enough to edit AVCHD.

I purchased Pinnacle Studio 12 and downloaded the Corel VideoStudio 12 Pro.

I know just enough to be dangerous. I'm looking at several HP's Quads and one Gateway Quad.

Although money is always an issue I would pay for the extra horsepower if it was necessary to significantly increase the editing speed.

Question:

Is the Intel Quad more advantageous then the AMD?

Any recommendations on the graphics card. I don't intend to do any gaming.

Tnx.
Len Charnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #56
Major Player

I bought a gateway DX4710-UB002A computer, completely off the shelf at frys.

Q6600
64bit vista
ATI radeon 3650
6 gig DDR2 dual channel

Anyway running Vegas 9 platinum pro and using a SR11 seems to work good enough. Seems if I let the machine think a while after changing something I can even watch the preview at full res at full frame rate. But most of the time it's a bit choppy. Set to auto the frame rate is just fine. I run dual monitors too. I edit in native AVCHD.

Set to auto the preview resolution drops but it's plenty clear enough to see how the video will turn out. I am waiting for the true Vegas 9 Pro to come out (whenever that is) so we get true 64bit operating system support. Can't wait to use all 6 gigs of ram and all 4 cores to full potential.

You can see an example of the native AVCHD playing at full res dual monitors in the vid.
YouTube - AVCHD Sony Vegas (64 bit Vista) Edit Bay
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion