Any way to tell if Canon .MTS is 60i or PF24? (Canon HG10) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old June 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any way to tell if Canon .MTS is 60i or PF24? (Canon HG10)

Hi all,

I've finally got a way to semi-automate converting my 24p .MTS files from the HG10 into nice, "real" 24P 1920x1080 (square pixels, what a novel idea!) .WMV Advanced files. The problem for me now is that I can't tell which of the recorded files are 60i and which are 24p...obviously I only want to attempt IVTC on 24p files. Can someone enlighten me:

Is there a way to "easily" determine which files are 24p and which are 60i? Even if it involves Hex editing, etc...that's fine, I just need to know if there's a way.

Thanks,

mike@slavis.com
Mike Slavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Slavis View Post
Is there a way to "easily" determine which files are 24p and which are 60i? Even if it involves Hex editing, etc...that's fine, I just need to know if there's a way.

Thanks,

mike@slavis.com
Are you looking for an automated way, something you can put into a script that looks at the file and automatically determines if the file is 24P in 60i? If so, the only way would be if there is a tag of some kind in the file header. If there is one, you might be able to find it by experimentation comparing the files.

For a manual method, the way I usually tell is to frame-step through the file in a video editor or viewer. The 3:2 sequence of progressive frames with cross-interlaced ones is pretty obvious when you step through.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yep, automated

Hi Dave,

Yes I'm looking for an automated way. I don't know if there is info hidden in the .MTS files themselves, or in the .CPI files in the CLIPINF folder, or in the .MPL file in the PLAYLIST folder, or somewhere else. I figured I'd just ask if anyone knew before I started trying to figure this out on my own, which may take a long time, and I may not be able to figure it out. :P

I've has enough with the manual way of figuring this stuff out. There has to be a programmatic way.

I know that when I playback the video in the camcorder it show me real-time updates on the aperture and shutter speed if I put the display up. This information may be kept in the same spot as the 60i/24p information.

If anyone knows...please share!

mike@slavis.com
Mike Slavis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion