My Sony SR12 HANDBOOK is done at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:07 AM   #1
HDV Cinema

My Sony SR12 HANDBOOK is done

After working with the SR12 for about a month -- my eBook is done. It's written for those new to AVCHD as well as those who want to use it as a B-cam with Sony's other EXMOR camcorders. It's also aimed at those on the FCP and Avid lists who honestly have no idea HOW they can edit AVCHD. They are saying the same things they said 4 years ago when HDV entered the world.

--------------------------------------------------

The 225-page Handbook covers shooting with the Sony SR11, Sony SR12, and Sony CX12 AVCHD camcorders.

The Handbook provides detailed information on how to shoot to obtain maximum quality. This information overcomes the seeming lack of manual controls on these camcorders. Both novice and pro will find this information of value.

Many are new to editing AVCHD. The Handbook guides you through editing using iMovie 06, iMovie 08, FCE, FCP 5.1.4, Final Cut Pro 6.0.3, Premiere CS3, Media Composer 2.8, EDIUS 4.61, PowerDirector 7 Ultra, Pinnacle Studio 11 and 12, and Vegas 8.0b.

The Sony SR/CX camcorder’s use a 1/3-inch EXMOR CMOS chip that provides an excellent match to Sony’s EX1, EX3, Z7, and S270. The Handbook provide a well illustrated chapter on color balance and color correcting when shooting with the SR/CX camcorders.

The Handbook also provides detailed information on converting 1080i50/i60 to 1080p25/p30 – including 1080i60 to true 1080p24 – as well as converting 1080i50/i60 to 720p24, 720p25, 720p30, 720p50, and 720p60. Coverage of 720p is of special value to those who use 720p when shooting with the EX1 and EX3.

Chapter 1: Introduction to the Home Menu
Chapter 2: Introduction to the Option Menu
Chapter 3: Setting White Balance
Chapter 4: High-contrast Shooting
Chapter 5: Low-contrast Shooting
Chapter 6: Special Situations
Chapter 7: Editing AVCHD
Chapter 8: 1080i to 24p, 25p, and 30p
Appendix A: Sony ClearVid EXMOR CMOS
Appendix B: Analog Audio Connections
Appendix C: A Bit about AVCHD
Appendix D: Choosing a Flat-panel Display

To see in more detail what my Sony SR12 and CX12 Handbook offers you, scan the Table of Contents at the knowledge-download.com site where the eBook is available for download:

http://www.knowledge-download.com/Sony-SRCX/
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:55 AM   #2
Trustee

Steve
Got it! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together.
For some strange reason, I keep finding myself being more fascinated by this tiny little SR12 than I am by my EX1. I appreciate not having to reinvent the wheel, thanks to you.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:03 AM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
Steve
Got it! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together.
For some strange reason, I keep finding myself being more fascinated by this tiny little SR12 than I am by my EX1. I appreciate not having to reinvent the wheel, thanks to you.
You bought the very first copy -- thank you!

I only had a bit of time to compare the EX1 and SR12 so please report how well you get the two to match. (I don't know which NLE you use.)
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #4
Trustee

I use the Adobe CS3 Production Set. I also use Cineform Prospect HD, so I bring everything to a 1920 30p 10 bit, 4:2:2 CFHD .avi timeline regardless of source. I have already done a brief comparison on Blu Ray, but no real intercutting. The EX is definitely the mother ship for detail, depth, and dynamic range- not to mention special features like frame accumulation, fast and slow motion, programable shot transition; I'm still at the stage where I am shocked by how good EX footage looks. I can spot the EX footage from SR12, V1, etc.. I think the SR has some edge sharpness cranked in to enhance the "detail", and it looks a bit video, wheras the EX image looks a little more natural. We'll see about color matching and so forth. I think it's doable to mix them.
Realistically, the SR will end up being the travel cam, and maybe some fun throwaway video shorts set to music for the web.
We'll see what I can do with it. Your book will speed that up.
Many thanks!
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #5
Tourist

I can't find much info about this ebook anywhere so I'll ask here, hope Steve won't mind.
How many of you have this handbook? Is it worth buying? I would buy it instantly if it was real printed book but I hate reading pdf's on a monitor. Few days ago I bought sr11 and I would really like to get best out of that camera. Is it aimed at pro users or is it "for dummies"? I guess I'm somewhere in between, I do postproduction for living so I'm familiar with most of the terminology but I never had a camera neither did I shoot much.
Mario Moskon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Trustee

It's a very comprehensive book with information of interest to all levels of shooters.
I don't think I ever read it "cover to cover" like a novel, but rather cruised it for chapters and subjects of particular interest, and continue to use it for reference. For that sort of thing, PDF works very efficiently.
I don't know where else you will find this much information about the SR12 in one spot.
If you plan to do anything more than "home video" with the cam, I would recommend the book.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion