AVCHD vs HDV Format at fast movement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old August 11th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AVCHD vs HDV Format at fast movement

Hi my friends!
i have the sony HC1 HDV cam and i would like to upgrade to canon HF11. I like to take video when i'm walking. Should i see less blurring with the AVCHD format than the HDV (with the same speed shutter)?

thanks
Yiannis Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

currently there will be more blur with AVCHD.
could be different with the new cameras with AVCHD@24Meg. but there is no rewiew yet to confirm.
you can try to capture directly from camera to computer, but this require usually bulky equipment uncompatible with walk.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've been looking into AVCHD cams from their first generation on and I am really interested in the motion campturing of these cams, because I would film skateboarding...

I just hope DV does some fast sports test shots with the new 24mbs canons...
Jurij Turnsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #4
New Boot

I have a HG10 camera which is AVCHD and I've been using it to shoot our races. You can check out the footage online at http://www.vimeo.com/southernontariosprints Its compressed for the web but I hope it gives you some idea of how the camera handles high speeds and low light. As the races are all at night and some of the tracks aren't very well lit.
Mike Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiannis Kall View Post
Hi my friends!
i have the sony HC1 HDV cam and i would like to upgrade to canon HF11. I like to take video when i'm walking. Should i see less blurring with the AVCHD format than the HDV (with the same speed shutter)?

thanks
I don't believe that's the kind of 'blur' that's impacted by the format. You're simply talking about unsteady footage which will look equally bad with either format.

Last edited by Ken Ross; August 12th, 2008 at 02:22 PM.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Inner Circle

then you have to shoot 60p and or increase shutter speed
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I don't believe that's the kind of 'blur' that's impacted by the format. You're simply talking about unsteady footage which will look equally bad with either format.

Ken, I have noticed more "blur" with my SR11 than I have seen with my friends HDV FX7 when shooting the same moving subject. Of course, the advantage my friend has is that he is able to change his shutter speed, while I cannot. By the way, we both shoot from tripods.

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #8
Trustee

Mike, do you know what he had set his shutter speed to for that shot?
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Major Player

No, Ken, I do not. I only was referring to a comparison between an example of HDV and AVCHD shooting moving objects. I will ask him the next time I see him.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Burgess; August 15th, 2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Mike -
When you saw "blur", was that in display on TV, or in editing? I have not seen much problem with AVCHD and blur once I teak the NLE settings down enough (Vegas 8 Pro) - you have to go to "preview/full" before the blurriness goes away, at least on my computer.

I've actually not seen ANY artifacting/blurring with my SR11 once I got things tweaked in. The output renders are phenominal, and I've shot things like a (lit) water fountain at night, and I'm not seeing any problems. The more I work with it, the better I feel about the camera. Still hanging onto my FX7, but wondering why more and more - I'd take a tapeless version of it in a heartbeat, love the design and features, but the SR11 is darn close on picture quality, and tapeless is working far better than I ever expected!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Dave. The blur I have seen is when I play something directly from the camera to my 720p plasma. I have also seen it when playing DVDs that I have burned as AVCHD, and played on my computer. I do not have a BR player yet so I cannot comment on that kind of setup.
What I am observing is the lettering on the sides of railcars (boxcars, etc.) blurring as they pass by the stationary recording camcorder on a tripod. The same scene shot by an FX7 shows less blur, but again, I do not know what shutter speed it was set at.

While I can see a slight difference in the quality between the SR11 and the FX7 (with the FX7 being a tad better), I agree with you that the ease and convenience of handling bodes well for the SR11. The microphone is another matter. I hate those automatic dampeners or whatever you call it when something a little louder is heard, but is not replicated.

Mike
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burgess View Post
No, Ken, I do not. I only was referring to a comparison between an example of HDV and AVCHD shooting moving objects. I will ask him the next time I see him.

Mike
Mike, I can't say I've noticed any blurring during panning or shooting of moving objects with my SR12. I always view my footage direct from the camcorder to the plasma, so there's no issue of artifact introduction in the editing/conversion process. On the other hand I've certainly seen issues when I've shot 24p on my HV20 and displayed the results on my plasma direct from the camcorder. That's why I can't tolerate 24p.
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Mike -
When you saw "blur", was that in display on TV, or in editing? I have not seen much problem with AVCHD and blur once I teak the NLE settings down enough (Vegas 8 Pro) - you have to go to "preview/full" before the blurriness goes away, at least on my computer.

I've actually not seen ANY artifacting/blurring with my SR11 once I got things tweaked in. The output renders are phenominal, and I've shot things like a (lit) water fountain at night, and I'm not seeing any problems. The more I work with it, the better I feel about the camera. Still hanging onto my FX7, but wondering why more and more - I'd take a tapeless version of it in a heartbeat, love the design and features, but the SR11 is darn close on picture quality, and tapeless is working far better than I ever expected!
Dave i go 1 farther than you saying i prefer the pq of my SR12 to my fx-7, colours are better for sure,like you i realy wish it was bit larger with more on cam controls.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion