Switching from MiniDV to AVCHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:22 AM   #1
Tourist

Switching from MiniDV to AVCHD

I am new to this so please be gentle. I have a Canon HV20 with about 10 tapes recorded. I want to switch to AVCHD and had my eye on the Canon HF10. So when I sell my HV20, I want to make sure I can access my media in the future. I also use an iMac with Final Cut Express and Pro. What are my options?

1- Can I record from the HV20 direct to the HF10 so I can then store the media on my hard drive?
2- Is there a way to put each tape as is on a hard drive without compression (or at least near tape quality)?

3- Am I missing an easier solution?

Thanks,

Steve
Steven Engelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Just use HDVSplit to capture all your tapes to hard drive. Its slow (real time capture of course), but it'll be exact digital copies of the HDV footage from the tapes. Then store your tapes and sell your HV20 and you should be good to go. If your drive ever crashes you can at least hunt around for another HV10/20/30 cam to borrow for another round of capture.

Hopefully long before a drive crash you'll be able to edit your videos down to something manageable and burn everything you want to keep onto Blu-Ray.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Tourist

I checked out the beta site for HDVSplit and it says it is only for Windows. I only use Mac. Any suggestions?
Steven Engelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Trustee

I have all my Digital8, MiniDV, and the few HDV projects shot with an HV20, all as "captured" stored on 3 external hard drives which all remain powered down unless needed.

All of the standard def DV is in the same AVI format it would be again captured from the tapes tomorrow, and the HDV is as captured originally. All files are accessible by any software that can edit them and with no quality loss over when originally captured for edit.

AVCHD files, of course, are copied directly from the media card and stored on those same 3 external drives.

Periodically I'll purchase new external drives and copy the material over. Since these drives are not running much at all they tend to last...And last...And last...
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion