AVCHD from CX12 to Vegas 8? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old October 28th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AVCHD from CX12 to Vegas 8?

I did search the forum a bit to find some info and couldnt get what I needed.

I used a CX12 as a back up to the WESCAM inside a helicopter at the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell. The footage is simply amazing and I cant seem to get it to a Vegas timeline as .mts. Is there a procedure to use this footage in HD with the other HD footage I shot?

Thanks, we are simply amazed at this $750 camera!
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm using CX12 with vegas 8 pro, no problem - are you importing the footage via the PMB software? I dock the cam, it imports automatically, and I just drag the thumbnails across to V8, BAM, I'm editing.

Only thing I can think of is there's a glitch if the source file exceeds 17 minutes or so in length (2G file size approx)... you MUST let PMB stitch the sub files together into the complete clip, or the first file doesn't work properly.

And yes, it's a pretty amazing camera... same sensor block as the SR11/12, and even more compact. Lot of bang for the buck.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

ok great...i tried it on the road with laptop and PMB was not working well...got real scared i had file issue...thanks for responding
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Glad I could ease your worries - I had freaked out about the file size issue myself as I would be using clips that exceed the 17 minute time MOST of the time! We had quite a couple threads running as the Canon also had some splicing issues - theres a thread in this section of DVi with a simple command line fix that might work, and one of the users here put together a little program that I think will do the splice without PMB - you might want to do a search and try those solutions if you're having problems with PMB.

As long as the files are on the MS Duo, you're fine, just need to splice them with PMB. FWIW, if you can't get the files via PMB and you need to reuse the stick, copy the ENTIRE file structure, EVERYTHING, and restore it to the stick later - there are some auxilliary files in the other folders that are needed to access the files correctly.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Glad I could ease your worries - I had freaked out about the file size issue myself as I would be using clips that exceed the 17 minute time MOST of the time! We had quite a couple threads running as the Canon also had some splicing issues - theres a thread in this section of DVi with a simple command line fix that might work, and one of the users here put together a little program that I think will do the splice without PMB - you might want to do a search and try those solutions if you're having problems with PMB.

As long as the files are on the MS Duo, you're fine, just need to splice them with PMB. FWIW, if you can't get the files via PMB and you need to reuse the stick, copy the ENTIRE file structure, EVERYTHING, and restore it to the stick later - there are some auxilliary files in the other folders that are needed to access the files correctly.
Hi, Dave. On this topic, I'm glad to report that I have had zero issues moving videos to a PC using Picture Motion Browser 3.0 all the way up to 1 hour 55 minutes of continuous "taping" (over 13 GB, I think). The target is a Vista 64 PC with NTFS file system formatting. Those 16GB chips have come in handy since I'm filming pickup soccer games that can go upwards of 2 hours regularly.

The only thing I reported elsewhere is that once I start editing the files in Corel's latest VideoStudio, I sometimes have to use a workaround to take the edited file and play it back in Picture Motion Browser. That may be because I'm not producing an MODD file? Anyway, if the video doesn't start playing right away after editing, I just hit the Slideshow button instead of the video button, and PMB plays it back just fine. It's presumably a bug in PMB that it doesn't play back in "video mode" right away. The same edited files play back fine from the PS3 so this is unique to PMB, apparently.

I've also downconverted an HD clip to regular DVD quality now with the Corel software, and it looked pretty good played back through a portable DVD player.

/ Tom
Tom Gull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion