Infrared Night Shot recommendation? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old December 7th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #16
New Boot

Dan, you have a good selection of IR samples there. Thanks for sharing.

Rich
Rich Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #17
New Boot

OK, I went with the CX12 (Sony HDR-CX12).
Not exactly a Pro camera, but an amazing piece of hardware nevertheless. It had infrared capability and was Flash Memory, and that was pretty much all there was to choose from until high-end manufacturers see the market.

The only thing sofar I really dont like about it is the viewfinder -- there isnt one.
If Im going to be taking infrared shots of wildlife etc. it sort of defeats the purpose to have a bright LCD screen lighting up your face. With a viewfinder I could temporarily give up the night adaptation in one eye, while the non-viewfinder eye remained dark-adapted.

My solution to that will be several layers of red gel over the LCD screen to knock the brightness down, but it's not as effective as shielding the light from my subjects with my eye socket (or that convenient to have to deal with gels and black tape).

The other solution is to turn off the LCD illumination, which the CX12 thoughtfully gives you the option to do.

Now to find an editor that will handle AVCHD. ...but that's another topic.
Jeb Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #18
Regular Crew

CX7 and Infrared

Jeb - I've posted some pictures of my CX7-spotlight combo (go to the link below and hit the "Infrared ..." link. It looks ugly, but its serviceable. Good luck with the CX12.

Nature and Wildlife Filmmaking Tips and Tricks
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Jeb -
There's a new hoodman eye loupe designed for these small LCD screens - it velcros over the panel, might be a good option.

If you want to see what it looks like, search the forums here - Chris posted some pix of the new Canon HF-S100, with the hoodman eyepiece mounted - I would expect it to fit the CX12 as well.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Licht View Post
Jeb - I've posted some pictures of my CX7-spotlight combo (go to the link below and hit the "Infrared ..." link. It looks ugly, but its serviceable. Good luck with the CX12.
I picked up a Sima SL-20IR infrared illuminator (36 LEDs) at Buy.com for about $40, which is $20 less than what Best Buy wanted for the smaller 9 LED model.
First tests were impressive, it came with a bracket, and you can stack multiple illuminators together. That's good, because the built-in IR source on the CX12 seems to be a single LED and a lot fainter than a previous nightshot camera I own.

Quote:
There's a new hoodman eye loupe designed for these small LCD screens - it velcros over the panel, might be a good option.
Ill have to look for that, sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
Jeb Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion