Considering AVCHD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old December 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #16
Contributor

It's interesting that a client would request a format. You can get AVCHD from a camera with a 1/6" chip up to a camera with three 1/3" chips, from a hand held point-and-shoot with no adjustment, up to a professional camera. That's like requesting that something be shot in HDV, or in Betacam or DVCAM. What camera is used, what lens it has, etc., makes a lot more difference than the format. And even in the AVCHD consumer cameras, you can go from 9mbs up to Canon's HF11 with 24mbs. A big difference there. The Panasonic 150 is a hell of a lot different than the Flip Mino HD. And, other than that one Panasonic offering, at this time I believe all the AVCHD cameras are single chip consumer cameras ranging from 1/6" to slightly less than 1/3" chips. Unless your client specifically mentioned the 150, he is requesting that you use a single chip consumer camera. I find that odd.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #17
Major Player

Hopefully Panasonic being the only one with a truly professional AVCHD cam will change sooner rather than later. It's a great cam hope that Canon and Sony are paying attention here.

I am currently transcoding my files to DVCProHD via the Transcoder download from Panasonic. Then I just dump the DVCProHD files on the timeline and go to town. It works quite well, but may not support non-Panasonic cams.

I see where Adobe is claiming AVCHD support in CS4, but no 720p yet....will look again at it early in '09. For now transcoding works OK.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion