Sony SR12 (Wide Angle & Light) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old January 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Tourist

Sony SR12 (Wide Angle & Light)

I have been doing allot of reading on this site and have narrowed down what looks to be a good option for a wide angle lens for my new SR12. From my reading most seem to recommend the Raynox HD-5050Pro. I also have seen good recommendations on the Sony VCL-HG0737C. I would like to keep in that $150 or so price range. I just got this recorder for my new baby girl that will be here next week, so most of my filming will be for this purpose.

Would anyone have any recommendations other than the HD-5050Pro ?

Also because this lens will block the flash, any input on the Sony HVL-HFL1 (combo video/flash) Light.

Any input will be appreciated as i am very to video and would like to have some nice quality home movies.
David M. Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:38 AM   #2
Major Player

I never used, thus can't comment on the Raynox but I can definitely recommend the Sony. It is fairly light and compact for the FoV it adds and the overall performance is excellent. Just make sure you get the model you mentioned and not one of the cheaper ones. They could be good but the HG model performs so well for its price, there is no need to save a little money to compromise, in my view. Also don't forget to turn the stabilization option in the menu to "Wideangle" once you have put on the wide lens.

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'd second the suggestion to go for the HG0737C - unless you can find a good deal on a used 0737Y and don't mind the weight - the C is good, and I felt it was better than the Raynox lens I owned for a while.

Can't comment on the flash unit, but not sure if it will activate with the flash disabled/WA lens in place - you may want to see about return privileges if it doesn't... Generally speaking the little Sony lights are pretty good, keep in mind that with the SR12 you can of course shoot stills and video simultaneously, so you might want to look at a dedicated video light - the little Sima SL-20LX is a good little unit, fair amount of power and good bang for the $, get two so you've got a backup if needed (45-55 minute battery life). The reason I suggest a video light is it will improve the video AND help with the stills if you're shooting both simultaneously - the stills suffer more in ambient light, and can use the extra help if you're not able to use flash.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Tourist

I ordered the 0737C & the light today.
I'll try out the sony light and let everyone know how it goes next week.
The 3W just seems like the amount of light wouldn't do allot, but i like that is runs from the camera battery and turns itself on.
David M. Wheeler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion