How much power do you really need? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old February 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #16
Major Player

my tower was only 900-1000 bucks so it's not expensive compared to some other high end computers. Vegas 8.1 is pretty pricey at 400-500 bucks but I don't have to convert the 16mbps AVCHD to anything..
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #17
Major Player

Just to clarify, the major virtues of Nero 9 compared to Sony Vegas when editing and authoring AVCHD are:

Nero is much less expensive, frequently showing up for less than $50.

Nero has "smart rendering" which allows it to produce AVCHD disks much faster than Vegas, often 10 times faster, if the clips being assembled are only being trimmed and spliced together.

Nero requires a less powerful CPU.

Nero can make AVCHD disks on low cost red laser DVD blanks with a low cost ($30) burner which play in both BluRay plaers as well as the Sony PS3.

On the other hand, Vegas is a much more competent editor with a lot more features.

Larry
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
I can vouch for that. I'm editing all my AVCHD files in CS3 easily - don't have the need to buy CS4 now.
I've got Premiere Elements 7 as well which does edit AVCHD, and in the export comparisons I've made, I can't see the difference between the Cineform converted files and the original AVCHD files.
So for you guys using Neo Scene, how long does it take to convert an AVCHD file (say a 10 minute file) to a Cineform .avi? And does using Cineform make HDV editing easier also? Or just AVCHD?

Thanks,
Kraig
Kraig Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #19
Major Player

Kraig,

It's hard to judge time of converstion because, frankly, every system is so different. I have an i7 based system at 3.0Ghz... Converting a HMC150 2 minute clip took less than 2 minutes, probably less than 1 minute.. So I'd say - in general - it should be faster than real time.

Using cineform on AVCHD files I think is *absolutely* the way to go. You need to get those files out of that highly compressed state. I convert everything I shoot into Cineform including HDV as well. Performance on the timeline is dramatically improved using Cineform over AVCHD however their is a small performance hit editing in Cineform over HDV in my experience.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #20
New Boot

Jon - thanks for the info. Sounds like Cineform is the way to go...especially for AVCHD. But I'm curious why you convert your HDV into Cineform if there isn't a performance gain?
Kraig Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #21
New Boot

Anyone here have any experience using AVCHD UpShift from Vasst? How does it compare to Cineform or Neo Scene as for as preformance and quality? I myself am thinking of taking the plunge to AVCHD and am researching as much as possible; My computer config below:

Computer Config by ADK of Kentucky.

# ADK Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core with HT 8meg cache Workstation
# Motherboard - Corei7, 12GB/DDR3 1600, 2x PCI, 2 x PCIE x16, 3 PCIE, TI firewire, 6 Sat
# Case - ADK - Tower: EATX 7 3.5" bay, 5 x 5.25 Bays up to 13 HDD's with hot swap bay
# Memory - Corsair - 2Gig DDR3 1600 1.65v DOMINATOR 8-8-8-24
# Memory2 - Corsair - 2Gig DDR3 1600 1.65v DOMINATOR 8-8-8-24
# Memory3 - Corsair - 2Gig DDR3 1600 1.65v DOMINATOR 8-8-8-24
# Hard Drive1 - SEAGATE - 500G 32Meg Sata II Perpendicular ST3500320AS
# Hard Drive2 - SEAGATE - 1000 GB Seagate Raid 0 Array (2x 32 cache 500GB)
# Hard Drive3 - SEAGATE - 1000 GB Seagate Raid 0 Array (2x 32 cache 500GB)
# Video1 - PNY GeForce GTX285 1024MB: The NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GTX 285 graphics card
# Video2 - Matrox RTX2 Board Only: Includes the Matrox RT.X2 editing card, audio/video
# CD/CD-RW/DVD - LG GSA-H55NK: 22X SecurDisk DVDRW 16x DVD and 48x CD. Dual Layer
# Operating System - Microsoft Vista64 Business OEM with COA and disk
# Adobe CS4 Production Premium: includes After Effects, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Audition,
# Encore DVD,& Illustrator
# 3 - Dell 24" Flat-Screen Monitors

How would you rate my computer as far as ease of use of the AVCHD .mts files editing natively in Premiere Pro CS4?

Thanks guys.

P.S. I am also looking for sample AVCHD .mts files that I can download and use for
experimentation; would like something longer in duration, say 15-25-30min., etc.
Please let me know if you can aid me is this regard.
Scott Owens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion