Going on vacation with my SR11, need options for increasing storage. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old March 4th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Going on vacation with my SR11, need options for increasing storage.

I am planning on going out west this coming summer, and will probably be shooting from 8 to 12 hours or more of video. I will be shooting in HD due to the fact that I want the best video picture as possible. My cam can hold somewhere around 7 hours of video at its highest setting, so I will need some way of downloading and/or storing said video from the SR11 so that I can continue to shoot more hours of video.
Suggestions are appreciated.

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Trustee

16 GB Duo cards are each good for about 2 hrs of highest quality HD recording. I carry a handfull of them and use as my primary media. I save the camera hard drive for when I run out of cards. I think of the Duo media as being more secure, and also like the idea of not having all my eggs in one basket (the hard drive).
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Yea I switch to a duo card recently too. I like that I can treat the camera a little bit rough (helmet cam) without the HD going into safe mode.
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks. Never gave the cards any thought. Suggestions on where a good place would be to get them? Recommended brands?

Mike
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

8G Sonys have been on sale at BB a few times recently for around $40, that's a safe bet.

AVOID buying MS Duos on eBay at ALL COSTS, 99.9% are fakes/knockoffs from HK/China. Especially the "sony" ones, they are "PHony" for the most part... it's the most knocked off part in their entire catalog...

Sandisk MS Duos have been woking well for me, both the Ultra II and their HD video versions (which I think are the same except for packaging/labelling). While they are made in China, they seem like they are less liekly to be knockoffs.

FWIW, the 16G sticks are hard to find, and I think only Sony has officially released a 16G to market - seen other brands, but pretty sure they are knockoffs, as they do not show up in the legit online/retail sources.

You could always dump to a laptop? I think there are small portable Hard Drives designed to store pictures (and video?) - might be worth a look.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Major Player

Will have to look at both the Sandisk and Sony 8/16 Gb cards. Don't know much about any standalone hard drives. Any suggestions on using them; cost, etc.?

Mike
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
FWIW, the 16G sticks are hard to find, and I think only Sony has officially released a 16G to market - seen other brands, but pretty sure they are knockoffs, as they do not show up in the legit online/retail sources.

You could always dump to a laptop? I think there are small portable Hard Drives designed to store pictures (and video?) - might be worth a look.
I've gotten 16GBs from Amazon and I just looked to see the current price. It's gone from around $200 retail last August to $85 on Amazon today!
Tom Gull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Inner Circle

As long as the 16G's from Amazon are legit stuff not knockoffs (and I think Amazon would be tight on that), that's not a bad deal. It seems like Sandisk dumped a ton of 8G Video HD sticks onto the market (CC closeout maybe?) recently - been getting them for 25-30 apiece... not bad, though still more than other memory formats.

With all the new P&S having HD video options, and all the AVCHD cameras, memory should just get cheaper with increased quantity of production!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion