SR12 doesn't record 4:3 in SD mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old March 25th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SR12 doesn't record 4:3 in SD mode?

Hi all,

For those of you who have the Sony HDR-SR11 or 12 I'm just checking to make sure it isn't possible to shoot video with a 4:3 aspect ratio in SD mode. I have to use a second camera for a shoot tomorrow, which films in SD, and I'm guessing at a 4:3 aspect ratio. If possible I'd like to take the SR12 down to the same aspect ratio in SD, but from what I've seen it isn't possible.

The aspect ratio switches to 4:3 in photo mode, and I think there are some settings for displaying video on a 4:3 TV, but from what I can tell the camera won't record video in 4:3 while in SD mode. Please let me know if this is correct or not.

Thanks!
David Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It's not an option with the SR11. Personally I wouldn't worry to much, I'd shot in HD HQ. Most editing software will allow you to edit and render (output) in 4:3. If you're worried about people noticing a difference in quality, most won't.
Rob Croll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Rob! I didn't realize that this project a. would be for internal purposes only, and b. the 2 cameras were for 2 different subjects instead of different angles on 1 subject, so it worked out well, and I shot in full HD as usual.
David Horwitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion